Macbook Pro CTO Shipping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadow25, Dec 17, 2011.

1. shadow25 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I recently ordered a CTO MBP 2.2Ghz i7, 128GB SSD and High-Res AntiGlare Screen. Payed a bit extra for Guaranteed Next Business Day.

Ordered it on the 14th, and it shipped today, on the 17th. By my guess, I would assume it would be scheduled for arrival on 19th.

Just check the shipping company's estimated arrival time, and it's set for the 21st?!

Is this typical for Apple?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm surprised it was actually shipped on the 17th as Saturday isn't exactly a standard business day.

Anyway, Apple have no control over the item once it leaves the warehouse. From there, any delays are not the fault of Apple and likely lie with the shipping agency. Custom configured items do usually take longer to arrive as I believe they are not shipped from within the United States, rather that of China (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Long and sometimes delayed flights, customs inspections and hold ups, and the like all add to the time it takes to arrive.

Wednesday seems like a pretty speedy delivery in my opinion.

3. JT123 macrumors member

I have heard (emphasis on the word heard) that Foxconn actually operates on the weekend, which doesn't surprise me considering that the average overtime for a Foxconn employee is 100hours a month...

Anyway point being it is very possible Foxconn has dispatched the order to the carrier, but in any case the carrier is unlikely to be operating outside of weekdays. However if you paid for one day shipping- that is what you will get.

I've heard Apple is conservative with their estimates, however I don't know the shipping company they are using (they use FedEx in the US and TNT in Australia) that's all I know about shipping...

I too have ordered the exact configuration you have from Apple (except too stingy for one day shipping...) and have been told by Apple there was a delay with the shipping. (ordered on the 7th of December, told it should be here by this Wednesday) anyway I hope for your sake it arrives on Monday or you may have to wait till Wednesday like me...

I'm in Australia, do you mind if I ask where you are? I'd love to know if its a widespread delay or not.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uhm, he paid extra for "guaranteed next business day" delivery. There's a weekend, so I don't know how to count that... lets assume that saturday and sunday don't count, so it's technically shipped on monday and should arrive on tuesday.
    Sure, apple has little control what the shipping company does, however the customer paid extra for a service that Apple offers. It's their problem to make sure that they can provide the service they offer.

That being said, it's holiday shipping season... so things are probably very busy.

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I would be astounded if something was sent from China one day and arrived on my doorstep the next.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I just checked the apple website. For the built to order configurations that are not in stock, next business day shipping is not available. These are most likely the machines that ship from china.

So honestly, now I don't understand what this thread is about.

7. shadow25 thread starter macrumors newbie

My CTO Macbook Pro was shipped from China, and I was given the option (and paid for) Next Business Day Delivery.

My question is, what is Apple's standard for NBD deliveries? Normally, that means the package arrives the next business day after it has shipped, but FedEx is showing it'll be roughly 3 business days later.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

FedEx like to give itself room, but don't surprised if you get FedEx knocking on your door Monday morning at 8am. That's happened to me more than once (and every time I've ordered).

Also all tracking is local time, so if you see the 17th in China, that's possible for it still be the 16th in the US (even if it's says received after business hours or something).

9. ShoG macrumors member

Every Apple purchase that I have made, one iPhone 4 and MBP late '11, always arrived one day earlier than what the apple email said scheduled delivery. Just check the status and if its 'out for delivery' periodically, i also didnt have any upgraded shipping options and it still came early.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Then it should arrive next business day.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I order one or two new CTO MBP's each year, therefore I'm very familiar with the process. They are all built in China & shipped upon completion. I've chosen next day shipping as well as regular shipping just to see what the difference is. Despite the description as "next day" what is important to remember is your Mac has to clear customs in Alaska. Obviously Apple has no control over customs.

I've had them sail through customs in as little as one hour. Once, due to a paperwork issue my MBP (on a pallet with others) sat in customs for eight days. It's been an average of 1 to 3 hrs to clear on all the rest.

I deliberately place my online order on a Sunday night (CA) and receive my new MBP by the following Thurs or Fri, no matter if I select next day or not. That's pretty fast to build & deliver a BTO / CTO Laptop.

12. shadow25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight!

My Mac never went to Alaska. It has been sitting in TN for about 9 hours now, so maybe it's going through customs there?

I was a bit surprised it didn't come through alaska, as my iPhone 4 S went from China to Alaska

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm sure that there are other alternate customs points I may not be aware of. However I do know that the primary checkpoint is Alaska. That said, I do a tremendous amount of international business with FedEx and find them stellar compared to the competition. Therefore while not perfect, it's rare to receive delayed updates. Nonetheless they have a massive workload so I would encourage you to keep checking.

In addition it's possible that your package has left TN & the update has been slightly delayed. In general I've seen the status change by one full day sooner after it clears customs. Furthermore I've had an update moved up by one full day the very morning before it was supposed to arrive.

Lastly due to my business relationship with FedEx, I've had one of their execs comment on the great working relationship they have with Apple. He rates them as the best when it comes to communications between the two companies.

Good Luck :)

14. shadow25 thread starter macrumors newbie

You called it (well, close enough)

Delivered at 9:30AM today