Macbook Pro: Cure for upgrade mania.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 671417, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 671417 macrumors member

A confession: Before I got a Macbook Pro, I used to buy a new Windows laptop every 9 months or so.

Officially this was because I wanted that extra 0.2 GHz that each upgrade provided. There is definitely a thrill with being able to upgrade frequently get a new machine with more power.

Eventually however I realized there was a subtler reason for all this upgrading. It was actually due to the fact that I subconsciously hated Windows and was very unhappy with Linux, which I used equally.

These were the only two options for operating systems. Haiku OS (BeOS) is forever not ready for daily use even today, although it's getting better.

So I was selling these Windows laptops (Toshibas) for 2/3 what I paid each time, because people really want them.

But I finally did the math & realized I could save money if I had a Macbook Pro and liked it enough to hold onto it for several years.

Here are the numbers: In 4 years I had 6 Windows laptops, average $600 each, selling each for $400. Total loss 6x200 = $1200 = the cost of one low-end Macbook Pro.

These were the numbers when I owned Toshibas. Before that I was using Thinkpads and the losses were quite a bit higher. *sigh*

Always do the math.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I think you will be extremely happy with a MBP since most people are. I do not know if it will cure your upgrade mania though. Every year there is the debate about whether the update is worth the upgrade and it seems like it you care about .2ghz then you are going to always go for the update. The positive side of that is that if you sell your MBP 1-2 months before an update, you will take a negligible loss on investment.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Although I don't have the resources to upgrade as frequently as you do, I do feel your pain for having the "upgrade virus":)
    For me it started with my new job where I got to work on Mac for the 1st time. Then I wanted to have the same smooth OS experience on my PCs. Started with sins, DOCK emulators etc, then turned my desktop into a hackintosh. Then I bought a 13" MBP. When my desktop hackintosh started giving signs of wear (additonal HDDs started dying) I thought about 15" MBP as a desktop replacement. And although the hackintosh could have easily lasted me for another 6 months or so I saw a good deal and got the 15" MBP:) - the hackintosh now serves as a server/backup until I sell it.
    So now it's time to equip the MBP with all the needed accessories like the docking station, external DVD (it has 2 SSDs) a Time Capsule in the near future and other smaller stuff. But I know it won't stop there:D as I'll always find something to upgrade or perfect in my setup - though it will probably evolve around the accessories rather than the MBP itself.
    Anyways I'm sure you'll be happy with the MBP even after you get all the gadgets, upgrade the RAM, SSD and so on:) In my opinion the annual upgrades in case of the MBP aren't worth the hassle and the money if you have the previous edition - thought it's just me.
    MBPs are truly great machines and they hold their own. You can easily go with 1 for at least 3 years before feeling the urge to upgrade.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think there is a cure for upgrade fever.

6. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Before I discovered that Apple made laptops, I wanted an Acer. Mac was the greatest discovery I have ever made.

7. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Not to sound like an ******, but when exactly did you discover this fact? The first generation Powerbook came out in '91... they're one of the oldest consumer laptop brands.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You could buy any laptop and keep it for 4 years and save money, that's not exclusive to Macbooks.

However, Macbooks are way more awesome, both hardware and software. Grab yourself a RMBP and enjoy it :)

9. stuaz macrumors 6502

I am guessing thats a joke.... please say it is....:rolleyes:

10. urkel, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

It doesn't sound like math, it sounds like you justifying an expensive purchase.

If you really are a upgrade addict (new computer every 9mo is hardcore) then I have a hard time believing that once you buy a MacBook Pro then suddenly you'll have no desire to upgrade. Especially since Apples whole philosophy on annual releases is to offer that one thing that the previous generation cant use.

(BTW. I prefer Macs So $1500 for a two year Mac is fine, but I send my mom an annual Windows notebook and $1500 covers 4-5 years because today's "disposable" windows notebooks are actually quite well spec'd for the price)

11. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

It's my (personal) experience that people who have upgrade fever, or more bluntly described: are compulsive, generally don't get cured. And when they make long posts about how they've finally "cracked it" and found something they'll be happy with for a looooong time, that's just their way of trying to rationalize/justify it to themselves and hope that others will help them fortify their rationalization.

But hell, enjoy that new machine!

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

@Boe11 +1
    That is my hypothesis as well. Compulsive buyers either stop caring or they didn't.
    The whole hardware speed issue only really works for Gamers and there still buying mainstream every 1-2 years is enough. In die Windows world only Vista ever justified an Upgrade, all else works fine even on old hardware. Win7 made my by the time 4 year old Samsung quite a bit faster despite a lack of perfect graphic drivers. Now it is almost 7-8 years and it still works my mom is using it.
    Win8 runs even better on old stuff you might actually end up using the old notebook longer than you thought.

Apple with the whole you get USB 3.0 only now, Retina new, and all the next hyped features will be much worse for the compulsive upgraders. Or we break with compatibility here or here, deliver best experience only on the newest hardware ...

No Windows user I know upgrades for anything short of too little Gaming speed or a broken hardware that simply needs replacing. And I know lots of IT guys people that should be quite thrilled about tech stuff. A friend of mine also IT was using an old Toshiba for his last year as a student still. That thing was 7 years old and the screen was fixed in place by duct tape. Still did its job running Linux mostly.

13. 671417 thread starter macrumors member

That's because they're comfortable with Windows. I never was. Same with Linux, it just wasn't working for me.

If someone told me I had to forever drive Hyundai's I'd be in the exact same jam.

14. NoMoreSony macrumors member

It will be very expensive cure :). With each of new MAC OS X releases (supposed to be now every year) your old hardware will lose abilities to use some of new brilliant features. So, instead of thinking about subtler reasons with Windows laptops you will have real reasons to upgrade.

Now lets do the math. Every year you have to buy a new Macbook Pro (estimate cost $2000) and sell old for $500-600 less. Total loss 6x$600=$3600 instead of $1200 in your math. Very strange and expensive way to cure your mania.

15. unwinded macrumors regular

^this

Although if I am generally happy with my upgrade I am more likely to keep it longer. I kept my previous Windows laptop for two years. I sold it for $700 and bought the rMBP which I am extremely pleased with. The Windows laptop was a gaming laptop and the rMBP's GPU is more than a generation better in performance which was surprising because it is not a gaming laptop.

Anyways, the Asus Windows laptop cost me $2,000 and was purchased in 2010 (and recently sold for $700). I just helped my friend sell their 2006 plastic white Macbook for $400. For some perspective, it probably cost almost half of what my Asus did over four years prior...

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't think math is your problem. Sounds like you just needed a "loose" way of talking yourself into another upgrade (Toshiba to Apple). I will bet this upgrade fetish continues even with macs.

If you want to talk this out you'll have to book the "full hour". :D

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I dont think there's a cure. What I used to spend on my computers, I now fun myself spending on upgrades for my car.

The only thing that's taking my attention away from upgrades are school/career demands. But I suspect that my upgrade fever will be reborn once I have the time again.

18. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Just stay off of the rumor/tech forums until you are ready to upgrade.

19. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

This has been the opposite of my experience. With Macs, I was always wanting to upgrade on a yearly or biyearly basis.

Apple’s hardware was always lacking some feature (8GB RAM, then quad-core CPUs, then USB3 etc.) or in some performance area, or introducing a new feature (such as the high resolution display option, now Retina) that made a difference and so I felt that I had to be upgrading regularly because none of the machines I owned ever quite met my needs.

A couple of years ago I was starting to get fed up with this when the main applications I needed were multiplatform, and the upgrade cycle seemed to be getting shorter than ever. I was unhappy with many of the changes Snow Leopard introduced, and then Lion went further in that direction, so I decided to build a Sandy Bridge PC.

That PC is still beyond just about any Mac configuration you can buy in terms of performance (Ivy Bridge is really only improved efficiency—they don’t perform much better when you are comparing overclocked CPUs) and the whole system cost me significantly less than upgrading my MacBook Pro again would have. I have the option to upgrade it gradually over time or replacing a faulty component rather than effectively throwing the whole system out and buying a new one.

And I think it’s very overblown how “bad” Windows is these days. I do still think OS X is superior in some regards, but I’ve never had to do any real maintenance on the system, had to deal with crashes/BSODs, had driver troubles, or had to be concerned with viruses etc.

I don’t much care for the direction Windows 8 is headed now either, but I’ll have the option of sticking with Windows 7 for years to come, as we still have new hardware being released today that is supported in Windows XP.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's called self control, amazing what it can do.

21. aircanman macrumors 6502

I would change Windows laptops every 6 - 12 months due to graphics upgrades etc, used to love playing games on it, but the problem is Sony at the time were not providing enough graphic chip upgrades and the games stopped performing well, you couldn't get the drivers from the manufacturer website due to special drivers being written.

I have moved to Mac and although I have just gone from the 2011 to the 2012, I kept the other one for quite a while, very happy with it, the performance is more streamlined and reliable than a Windows laptop which will slow up for no reason, and viruses/spyware.

22. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Most gamers are affected by upgrade fever, and buy apple laptops just to play games on windows bootcamp... :eek:

23. aircanman macrumors 6502

Cant get used to bootcamp, its either a Mac or a PC, and I prefer it as a Mac.

24. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Buy a nice Mac, enjoy it, take good care of it, sell it in a few years for a good price then buy a new one and just pay the difference. Focus more on trying to get enough disposable income so that you can buy all the stuff you want.

Also yeah, almost all the Window's geeks I know are happy and staying with W7. It seems like Windows 7 is the new XP. :)

25. shansoft macrumors 6502

I have the same upgrading fever, and upgrading constantly even with Mac.

This is a personal problem, not brand specific.

I recommend you to have some self control rather than spending random cash.

A MBP 15 High End that sold at 2200 will have 1200 value left from 8-12month, further more its even worse.

You do the math, its actually going to cost you more if you choose a Mac.

Between Windows and Mac, I choose Windows. It just more convenient and superior in almost every way, unless I have to do Cocoa/iOS development.