Macbook Pro Customized set up approval?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Okay I have a plan that I think is pretty cool for my future MBP and I was wondering what you guys think of it.

I would buy a MBP 15 with a 2.6ghz processor and 200 gig 7200 RPM hardrive ($2949) and a Macbook Air external superdrive ($99). Then I would order windows XP SP2 ($99), and Kingston 4 gigs of DDR2 667 memory ($99) from Newegg.com I would send in my mac to MCE and have them replace my superdrive bay with the Bare Optibay SATA 2.5 inch hardrive inclosure. I would order the 64 gig SSD that dell sells on their site ($949, best price i've seen anywhere for 64 gigs) and I would have the certified apple repair center in my town put the 64 gig SSD drive into my MBP's 2nd hardrive slot.

If I did this I would have a MBP with 4 gigs of memory (1/8 of apples price) and a 200 gig 7200 RPM hardrive + a 64 gig SSD drive. Of course I would use the SSD drive for most of my applications and OSX and I would have the benefit of the storage space of a MBP and the SSD of the MBA.

What do you guys think of this idea? Is it too farfetched, am I totally crazy or is it a pretty good way to get a the storage space and reliability I want.

-As a note between the 2 macs I have owned in the last 5 years I have had 5 hard-drive failures.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

If you have that much money...why do you need it to last you 5 years? Just get one now and one 2 years from now. That's my .02

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I didn't even know the MBP had a second hard drive slot.

Ah - I just caught the part about replacing the Superdrive . . .

4. thegeist macrumors member

I think you are crazy...but it sounds great! :")

5. jat543 macrumors newbie

well, only if you're ok with no disk drive. The macbook air superdrive was just proven by engadget.com to not work with anything but the macbook air

6. grandmaster macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't OptiBay PATA only?

7. wentwj macrumors regular

Just wanted to make sure this point was restated, as it's the biggest hole with the current theory:

The macbook air superdrive was just proven by engadget.com to not work with anything but the macbook air

So if you want an external DVD burner you'll need to pick up a non-apple one.

8. matperk macrumors 6502

I have a friend considering doing it. I really don't think not having a SuperDrive would be that bad. Inconvenient at times and you would curse yourself for it, but most of my installs are done off of disc images these days anyway and I never watch DVDs on my MBP.

I think the second HD (especially if you look at the 500gb laptop drives that were just announced) is a great benefit. You could have a terabyte in your laptop!

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You don't need nobody's approval. If you've got the cash, go for it!

10. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I would figure that having two HDDs would really eat away your battery life. Not sure though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you would save a lot of money to instead get a bus-powered external hd