MacBook Pro customizing questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by waywardsage, Aug 11, 2007.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I want to order a MacBook Pro in the near future. Should I wait until Leopard comes out since its right around the corner?

I'm getting it to do video editing, motion graphics and screenwriting. I'm considering buying and upgrading the ram myself since Apple charges a horrible ammount, ($700 to add 2GM of RAM!) Can I upgrade the hard drive? Should I do this? What kind of hard drive would be best?

I'm going to order the parts off newegg.com.

I replaced the ram in my PC and it was easy. So i know how to do that.

I have never replaced the hard drive with the OS on a mac. How would I copy the OS over to the new drive?

Does the Macbook Pro come with your OS on a disk in case you have to re-install? What software does it come with?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would say that you can just buy it now and get leopard with it comes out. I would just buy the machine stick from Apple and upgrade it later. It will be faster and a lot cheaper. The RAM is really easy to install. The hard drive is a little more involved, but you can go to ifixit.com and they have step by step instructions for you. I would suggest macsales.com for a hard drive and RAM. Really good prices and I enjoy dealing with them.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can upgrade the HDD if you want, up to like 400gb if you can find one.

to copy the OS over..you would use the install disks that come with your MBP, if you wanted to copy all of your documents aswell, you would need some kind of external mounting device so that you can 'migrate' your data to the new harddrive.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps use CarbonCopy Cloner or SuperDuper to create a clone to an external and then migrate from it to the new HD.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can do that to different sized drives??

ok stupid question ignore that, of course you can.

he would have to get an external case though for that i spose. only option really.

nice paws, cute effect

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I don't think 400GB 2.5" hard drives are on the market, much less exist.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah not on the consumer market. i cant wait until they are though. just imagine that!
    *brain goes off into fantasy land*

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

What market did you have in mind? The Supermarket? 400GB 2.5" hard drives next to the milk? :rolleyes:

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was thinking more next to the fresh bread, but you know.
    they are out there. just not for us people