Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
I've bought the OWC data doubler kit, with screwdrivers included.
I successfully removed the bottom case. But now I want to remove the screws above the optical drive, but those screws seem very soft and are damaged really fast.

yILuc15KUC2TLdLi.medium

Could a smaller screwdriver help here, or I am too clumsy?
Or any hints for not screwing up my screws?

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
Don't mean to be rude or offensive but are you seriously asking for advice on unscrewing screws?!

Yes, I am.
And it's not the first time I'm unscrewing a Mac.

But ti's the first time I'm working on a really new model with screws that are really soft. I bought the standard screwdrivers and thought it would work perfectly, but apparently that's not the case. So I'm asking some advice.

And no one wants to screw up his new MBP under warranty...

Comment

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I suffered the same issue as you. In the end I installed the data doubler with only 3 of the screws. As the SSD has no moving parts and I don't travel that much with it, I left it as it is.
The best approach is to use some tools to remove headless screws. I don't know the right name for this kind of tool, I think they are some kind of taps that allow you to create a small hole with a new thread inside the screw and then you attach a smaller screw in it and then you are able to unscrew everything together.
Look into ifixit.com, they might have something (I am not sure).
Phillips 000 screwdriver might help but you have to be sure it doesn't continue removing material instead of loosening the tight screw.

The head of one of the screws of my Mac was damaged, therefore I left it there, I was able to remove the other 3.

Last edited:
Comment

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Don't mean to be rude or offensive but are you seriously asking for advice on unscrewing screws?!

It's a good question, I have worked on a lot of precision electro-mechanical devices and if you are not using *exactly* the right type and size of screw driver, it is real easy to mar if not totally destroy a screw head.

Comment

dophineh

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
California
Maybe a solution to this screwed-up-screws problem is to buy replacement screws. Where would one get the exact tech spec on the screws used??

This is srs question. srsly!

Comment

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Yes, I am.
And it's not the first time I'm unscrewing a Mac.

But ti's the first time I'm working on a really new model with screws that are really soft. I bought the standard screwdrivers and thought it would work perfectly, but apparently that's not the case. So I'm asking some advice.

And no one wants to screw up his new MBP under warranty...

They aren't soft screws. As with any screw or bolt you just need the correct tool and the correct torque. If anything other than the screw being unscrewed has happened then you did something wrong.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.