MacBook Pro Data Doubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DenBeke, Nov 17, 2013.

1. DenBeke macrumors regular

I've bought the OWC data doubler kit, with screwdrivers included.
    I successfully removed the bottom case. But now I want to remove the screws above the optical drive, but those screws seem very soft and are damaged really fast.

[​IMG]

Could a smaller screwdriver help here, or I am too clumsy?
    Or any hints for not screwing up my screws?

2. scbond macrumors 6502

Don't mean to be rude or offensive but are you seriously asking for advice on unscrewing screws?!

3. DenBeke thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I am.
    And it's not the first time I'm unscrewing a Mac.

But ti's the first time I'm working on a really new model with screws that are really soft. I bought the standard screwdrivers and thought it would work perfectly, but apparently that's not the case. So I'm asking some advice.

And no one wants to screw up his new MBP under warranty...

4. terzinator macrumors 6502

You're sure you have the type right? (Phillips or Torx?)

5. McGiord, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I suffered the same issue as you. In the end I installed the data doubler with only 3 of the screws. As the SSD has no moving parts and I don't travel that much with it, I left it as it is.
    The best approach is to use some tools to remove headless screws. I don't know the right name for this kind of tool, I think they are some kind of taps that allow you to create a small hole with a new thread inside the screw and then you attach a smaller screw in it and then you are able to unscrew everything together.
    Look into ifixit.com, they might have something (I am not sure).
    Phillips 000 screwdriver might help but you have to be sure it doesn't continue removing material instead of loosening the tight screw.

The head of one of the screws of my Mac was damaged, therefore I left it there, I was able to remove the other 3.

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's a good question, I have worked on a lot of precision electro-mechanical devices and if you are not using *exactly* the right type and size of screw driver, it is real easy to mar if not totally destroy a screw head.

7. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

Maybe a solution to this screwed-up-screws problem is to buy replacement screws. Where would one get the exact tech spec on the screws used??

This is srs question. srsly!

8. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

9. scbond macrumors 6502

They aren't soft screws. As with any screw or bolt you just need the correct tool and the correct torque. If anything other than the screw being unscrewed has happened then you did something wrong.