MacBook Pro Dead after 4 days.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killahwhale, Jul 22, 2012.

1. killahwhale macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I recently purchased a MacBook Pro, the higher end 13 inch model with 8 gigs of ram and the intel i7 processor. I previously had the first 2006 intel model so this is a huge upgrade.. unfortunatly the Macbook Pro Died 4 days after ownership. I do have an appointment with the Apple Store tomorrow, but I am coming to all of you for advice.

I am pretty sure the whole logic board is shot. I was using it and searching the web today (the only files I have on it are Office for Mac 2011), and then I plugged a USB cord with nothing attached to it into my new Pro. The computer immediatly shut off and I have not been able to use it even after contacting apple support (reset the PRAM and SMC). Also, I tried charging it and it does not even do that. The LED indicator on the charger is flashing a dim yellow and green.. very strange.

My question is, should I demand a new computer? I feel as if I brought a lemon (having my 2006 model lasting me up until last monday).. I do not want a computer that they keep replacing individual parts on and off and having it go back with the same problems a week later..

Also if anyone could give me an idea as to what is wrong that would be great.. i know these just came out so there is not much info about them, but I am really confused as to what could of happened.. I am almost positive its the logic board as i plugged in something USB (just a cord with nothing attached, an OEM apple cord from an iPhone).. and it has not booted since.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Since it died within the return period, they will likely just give you a new one rather than send it out for repairs. I had a "dud" MacBook Air 2 years ago that they just replaced.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

just bring it to an apple store with your receipt and if it isn't a BTO they will give you a new one on the spot.

4. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

This. Apple will not attempt to repair laptops within 30 days. They will just give you a new one. I had uneven lighting on my Late 2011 Macbook Pro 17, took it into the genius bar, and they just gave me a new one.

5. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Not true, they replaced the screen on my rmbp after 3 weeks since they had no replacement models in stock.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

My MBP-13 turned up with a full battery (which they install fully charged during machine assembly) but a bad charger port.

So I had, you know, maybe seven or eight hours to explore my new gear before it turned into a pumpkin. The time flew by, that's for sure. Anyway Apple FedEx'd a replacement right away along with a return label to ship the bad machine back to them.

Stuff like that can happen, the good thing is that if it's going to happen, it usually happens right away or within days. I usually prefer to get refurbs; they get that extra once-over by a human being who is looking to send a quality-assured machine to the refurb shelf.

7. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

My MP(8gb ram i7) died the same way yesyerday after 2 weeks of owning it. I plugged in my broadband USB and it died. Try turning it back on and nothing.

Im going to apple tommorow.

8. ibis99 macrumors regular

There is no reason to demand anything. Apple will replace it no problem. Don't be worried.

9. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I have question. If you purchased you MP in another country at a non apple store will they replace it? Because I'm currently in the US and I brought mine from virgin Mega store in qatar and I'm not going back to qatar from another month and I really need my laptop.

10. killahwhale thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses I was wondering if any of you had this experiance dealing with Microsoft? I just used my last product key or office 2011 for Mac, If they do give me a new computer, do I have to call Microsoft and hope they give me a new product key?

11. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

use the same key.

12. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

If it is the same system as Office for Windows that does not work if it is your last key lol.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unlikely. More likely they wil l fix it.