Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freddurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
I have a 2009 MBP (model no a1150).
recently something started to make a lot of noise, i thought something was stuck in a ventilator, or harddrive.. I decided to open it to see what could be wrong. I followed the steps on iFixit to open it.
I saw nothing so i did all the steps back to re close the computer but now it's dead. Its plugged in but nothing happens when i push the power button. What could be the problem, and how can i fix this?

Thanks

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
To help us better diagnose the issue, can you tell us just how "open" you had it? Did you take off just the cover? Removed the hard drive? Fans? Logic board?

Freddurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I just took off the cover, and detached the keyboard&trackpas (that i obv plugged back in :) )

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
when you removed the bottom cover to get into the Macbook Pro, did you unplug the battery? did you plug it back in before you screwed the bottom cover back on?

i followed an iFixit tutorial to remove my Macbook Pro's superdrive not long ago. everything went great and i screwed the bottom cover back on and tried to boot the computer, but nothing happened. i opened the bottom cover back up and found that i forgot to plug the battery power cable back into the motherboard. thought this might be why your Macbook Pro isn't booting :)

Freddurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
when you removed the bottom cover to get into the Macbook Pro, did you unplug the battery? did you plug it back in before you screwed the bottom cover back on?

i followed an iFixit tutorial to remove my Macbook Pro's superdrive not long ago. everything went great and i screwed the bottom cover back on and tried to boot the computer, but nothing happened. i opened the bottom cover back up and found that i forgot to plug the battery power cable back into the motherboard. thought this might be why your Macbook Pro isn't booting :)

Thanks for the tip, but i didn't unplug this cable. Just cecked and it's still plugged in

Freddurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Its aliiive! It just rebooted, i pushed everything back into place, apparently there was a bad contact of something that i didnt unplug, strange..
Next problem; the noise is coming from the left fan; what can i do about this? :)

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
Its aliiive! It just rebooted, i pushed everything back into place, apparently there was a bad contact of something that i didnt unplug, strange..
Next problem; the noise is coming from the left fan; what can i do about this? :)

if your sure its the left fan, check for dust build up. i know that a replacement fan isn't expensive, but i'm not sure how difficult it is to install.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
The keyboard connector is what also connects the power button to the logic board. So bad keyboard connection means no power. I learned that lesson the anxiety-inducing way, too. The problem is that the connector is a microscopic ribbon cable and is a major pain to plug in correctly. I'd open her back up and get back into it, making sure that the connector is really plugged back in correctly. If it just all of a sudden worked, i'd suspect that it'll all of a sudden stop working at some time too.

The fan is super easy to remove and/or replace. Three screws, one connector. Dead easy. Take it out and blow it out. If the noise persists, buy a new one.

Freddurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
One more question, the left fan doesn't work anymore. While awaiting my new replacement fan, can i use my laptop? Or will it get too hot?

SteneDave

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2010
Don't, one fan is for GPU and one for CPU, you risk overheating - either it will turn itself off or you will damage it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.