MacBook Pro - Dead?! Help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nell169, Dec 4, 2011.

1. nell169 macrumors newbie

Having an issue I hope someone can possibly help me with... Ok so I have the newest Pro, it's the 15" i7, it was new in April, and running latest software and updates. Last few weeks it has started to get stuck all the time just surfing the net, beachballing constantly, drives me insane, I was going to book it in with the Apple store but haven't got round to it, plus I assume they would just want to reinstall Lion perhaps? I have MacKeeper and do a weekly scan and do daily clean-ups too... Anyway, tonight I had a couple tabs up and streaming a video online, when it freezes - as in everything, can't click on anything but could move the curser, then screen goes black, fans go crazy (I mean I'm used to the fans coming on, damn things are constantly on with this new Pro) anyway so it was just resting on the bed like usual, so I give it 5, go to switch it back on - nothing! Will not turn on.. So I figure it got too hot and I give it AN HOUR!! Yep, fans still going full speed and won't turn on... So I'm on my little netbook making this thread.. It can't be good for it with those fans going non stop? The underneath of it is hot after an hour and it's just sat on a chair closed! The little white light is on, on the front so it's still alive, maybe?

Ever been any similar threads -I did a search but nothing like this issue has come up?

Appreciate any advice.

Nell

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, so it fully powers off. Then power it back on.
    You don't need MacKeeper. You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature
    iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what apps may be placing high demands on your CPU/GPU.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple store, let them fix it.

Your report is a bit unclear. What is the status of the MBP right now? You say it's dead, but then you say that the fans spin up when you turn it on? So it still reacts somehow?

You can probably try to reset the SMC (see GGJstudios post), but even if that fixes the problem (I don't think it will), you should still have the machine checked for hardware problems.

4. nell169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for reply, it was extremely helpful and informative. I am now posting this fro my MBP! :D I did try holding the switch down, clearly not for long enough!! I understand what you say about MK, you're right it does just free up HD space, however the Anti-Theft part of it is the main reason I wanted it, as I have had one taken this year!

I still think there's something wrong with this as the constant beach balling cannot be normal The CPU Idle is always at 97/100% which I assume is normal? Also, just freezing up like that and switching off can't be right either, it's not ever done that before..

I have the iStat Pro already and the temps are back down to normal thank god :)

Again, thank you for you help.

Nell

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try the last suggestion I made in my earlier post?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

How exactly is software going to keep your MBP from getting stolen?

Look at Activity Monitor. What process is using up all your CPU power?