Macbook Pro Dead? Or Not!

d.johnson2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
My daughters Macbook Pro always had problems finding the hard-drive. Went through four hard drives would work for a little while, then same problem. finally would only start half the time to not at all. Tried everything I could find then GAVE UP! Fast foward about four months - she got a new one for college and let me have her old one ( I like to take things apart :) ). Plugged it in, started right up, working great, updated to Sierra (while it was resting? ) she got some of her files, next morning it was back to not working. Any ideas? A connection somewhere? She had it plugged in the whole time

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
13” MBP 2012 I’d bet!

Hard drive cable failure. Hugely common issue on this model. Apple had a silent repair program for it at one point.

Nice easy fix and parts are fairly cheap. Let me know if you need any guidance. :)

d.johnson2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Could you link me the previous cables you got please? If they’re refurbs or cheap Chinese ones they’re unlikely to be too reliable.
[doublepost=1561398205][/doublepost]Don't remember, I'm pretty cheap though. I remember one was Walmart. Can you recommend where to buy? I would love to get it going.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
[doublepost=1561398205][/doublepost]Don't remember, I'm pretty cheap though. I remember one was Walmart. Can you recommend where to buy? I would love to get it going.
Sorry pal I'm not too familiar with US places as I'm across the pond. The only one I know for sure that is reliable is iFixit, though hopefully others here can chime in with cheaper alternatives: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF163-041?o=1

d.johnson2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I'll try one more time - wish me luck! I'll keep you updated, thanks for the help