Macbook Pro dead USB port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattais, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mattais macrumors member

I have a problem with a USB port on my June 2009 macbook pro.

My friend has a camera with an XD card, and they wanted to transfer some photos to my macbook. They didn't have their usb cable, so I left a bunch of them with her assuming that one would fit - I had the larger and smaller types of usb cables.

So when I get back, she had one of the mini usb cables plugged in to the camera. I noticed that whilst it fit into the camera, it wasn't the exact shape of the port and was a little bit loose. Obviously not the right cable. I left the mac in bootcamp as my friend was unfamiliar with osx, and windows had bluescreened.

Now the usb port is not not functional in either bootcamp or osx. It doesn't show up in the system profiler. I have resetting the p-ram and the SMC, no luck.

Any ideas before I send it off to Apple? Anything welcome!!

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

On this type of issue, there's absolutely nothing that you can do short of sending it in to apple.

3. sharkync macrumors regular

The pin outs on different usb cables vary. I'm guessing while using/forcing the cable a positive voltage was applied incorrectly on one of the pins. Time for a tech to check it out. Good luck.

4. mattais thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, its in the shop now.

Probably a logic board replacement; i found out that devices with external power supplies work but not ones that need powering from the port... so not a good sign.

Cheers anywaY