MacBook Pro...dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cgk.emu, May 12, 2013.

1. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

2008 15 inch MacBook Pro...I was in the middle of a game of UT2004 (nostalgic!), and it suddenly, quite literally instantaneously, powered off. The battery was 100% charged, but it did not remain powered on. Tried to power it back on normally after it cooled down (I figured it might have overheated), but to no avail. I pulled the battery out and let it sit overnight. Still nothing this morning. I mean absolutely nothing, no indication whatsoever that it is even trying to power on. So, what do you think? I think it's gone.

In the meantime I'm using an original MacBook Air I had in storage, and I still have my MacPro of course.

Suggestions? I plan on taking it to a shop for diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure any repair would go beyond what the machine is worth. Shame. I just put an SSD in it.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Could be a dead logic board.
    Do you hear anything when you try to boot.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Was the case hot to the touch at the time it powered off?

Do you game often?

Running processors at high temperatures isn't healthy for the computer long-term. Thin-profile computers make poor gaming and content editing devices because cooling is so poor. That can be due to poor manufacturing processes, simple physics, or both. Often physics, but using gobs of thermal grease only hinders, and since the CPU and GPU are not in direct contact with the chassis the chassis therefore acts more like an insulator rather than heatsink (contrary to popular myth)...

4. cgk.emu thread starter macrumors 6502

I completely agree with you here, how could I not? It's fact. To answer your questions directly, do I game often? Not on this machine. I have my Mac Pro for that. Yes, the case was very hot, that's why I initially assumed it had overheated. Fans were full on during my game session.

----------

Nope. Nothing at all, completely silent.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is...not accurate. OP - It's sounds like your logic board went out, can you bring it to an Apple store?

6. cgk.emu thread starter macrumors 6502

Check out the picture here. One thing I forgot to mention. When I bought this machine (used, 11 months ago for $600) one of the graphics cards refused to be recognized. It simply didn't show up in the system profile, so I figured it had died. Maybe that's what just happened to the other chip. Look at how singed the glue is, it's actually bubbled up in places, not sure if you can see that much detail in the pic, but it's something. I think at this point you're right, the logic board is dead. No use taking it to Apple, I'm not paying $600 + to resurrect a laptop from 2008.

Attached Files:

7. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

8. cgk.emu thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused:

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

He's asking if you made out with your HDD, just roll with it.

10. cgk.emu thread starter macrumors 6502

I did, and it was so romantic. ;)

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

From the picture it seems like the heat made the chips float and disconnect.
    I remember this happening with my old VAIO and iBook G4.
    You could try to heat it and reconnect it but I would simply ask for repair.

12. cgk.emu thread starter macrumors 6502

The repair estimate I got was around $400, not worth it, but thanks :). I'll just run my original MacBook Air until it dies. I don't really use the laptop for much of anything these days since I've been done with college for awhile. My desktop machine on the other hand sees tons of use.