Macbook Pro Dead.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hundert, Jan 25, 2010.

1. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

That's funny.

Yesterday I posted this thread about my temp being shown HIGH, but macbook still remaining cool.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=853187

Today, my Macci Prou passed away. It now has vertical and horizontal lines all over the screen and does not power on.

I dont know if there will be a funeral.

Do you guys think Macs with Nvidia have higher failure rate? I wanna skip the current gen of Macbooks Pro, because I dont like the 9400 or Nvidia.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

oh... that's the graphics card that had a whole series of problems. Apple will replace it for you.

5. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

Yeah, I want definitely to call apple, because the moment it failed, I was doing nothing on it, bowsing and had garage band open in the back. The temps were low.

Thank you for your time!

6. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Check this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

If it's less then 3 years old you will get a new, improved, logic board for free if it's indeed the 8600 issue, but it sure looks like it.

I got a new one two months back and it works flawlessley again, at least 3 more years of MBP!

7. P99 macrumors member

Don't forget to let people know about your situation if it does get replaced. Best of luck.

RIP MBP!

8. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

thanks to you again.

Of course I will let you guys know! I hate when people only post "nevermind, I found a solution" and never write how they fixed it.

I have appointment with apple TOMORROW! They said on the phone, if it is 8600 fault, they replace for free.

I'll update!

9. P99 macrumors member

So?

10. KrispyKreme macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the replacement boards are the same design and so had the same flaw... And that the NVidia 9400 MBs are also vulnerable.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I don't recall seeing any issues with the 9400 GPU. This was an 8600-related problem.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

dont kid yourself bud....the new boards are not improved....i install them all the time....they fail just the same.

13. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Call AppleCare; they may replace the card for you. Apple acknowledged that the video card is problematic.

Good luck

Habitus :apple:

14. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Hrm, I know its a little late but is it possible that the heatsink was a little warped and not making good contact?

Anyways good luck getting everything straightened out!

15. kyzen macrumors regular

good advice, but try reading the whole thread, and looking at the dates ;)

16. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

;)

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What exactly don't you like about the 9400 or Nvidia? As in, how does knowing the company making the component make any difference in using the laptop?:confused:

18. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Personally, I've had a bad experience with a Nvidia Desktop card recently which, coupled with the reports of certain failed laptop versions has knocked my confidence in them significantly.

Having said that, plenty of folks (but not me) can tell similar stories about ATI so, Meh. Either way, I wouldn't buy an Apple computer without getting Applecare as it has easily paid for itself in both instances I have got it. Can't decide whether this is a good or bad thing though....Doesn't say much for Apple's reliability.

19. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

how did that guy say he hated people who never explained how they solved they're problem but he just seems to have abandoned this thread? wtf

20. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

hey, dont say that!

Update: Today I received email from apple authorized service provide and they told me that they cannon repair the notebook for free, because of a mechanical damage on my macbook.

SO! If you have a small bump somewhere, you might be out of luck, just like me.

I have no idea why they do it this way, since they also wrote me, that Nvidia chip is defekt. Do they think, that I caused the damage to the nvidia chip?

I dont feel like taking it to a courtroom and smash some other alu books with 8600 in front of a judge to prove that the damage on the screen enclosure does not affect logic board in any way.

I am going to do something crazy though, stay tuned :) Will be a surprise.

21. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah, what's bad about the 9400? It's good enough for the majority of the users. If it's not good enough, you always have the 9600. If that's not good enough, get a f*cking desktop.

22. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

9400 is a bad graphics card, it does not even have its own memory. I skipped the unibodies only because of it (plus I never buy high end models, too expensive). Noone should protect a bad graphics card. I hope I dont have to google for tests to prove it to you, do it yourself.

and this is so off topic :)

23. WingmanPictures macrumors newbie

Ok so my thoughts are that this has gone on too long. It seems that APPLE are now trying to get out of paying for all of these faulty machines.

Firstly on another topic - One month ago my wife's MacBook Pro had the battery explode on her lap causing serious pain and injury. All APPLE did was ask me to take photo's of her injuries and send them in and they replaced the battery for free. No care about my wife. Just a free battery.

Secondly, last week I had my 2008 MBP 17" black out. As per EVERYONE elses problem it worked perfectly except the monitor and also the DVI output didn't show anything on my other monitors.

To qualify, I run many Apples as I run a film studio. I've spent over $100k on Apple in the past few years to get the biggest and best for my studio. So anyway, rang apple and they said it sounded like the Nvidia problem (which I had to tell them about) and i sent it down to MAC1 in Melbourne. Today I get a call from the tech to say that they can't run the diagnostic program because it won't boot up. Hmmmm I said to myself!!!!!

I then immediately rang them and they said that it was going to cost me $2300 to replace the Logic Board. I said absolutely not!!! I then rang APPLE back and told them my story and they said "Sorry sir but you are not covered under warranty and that the Nvidia problem has nothing to do with the Logic board problem". I told them that the tech guy reckons he can't boot it up but I have had no problem booting up (to the stage where I even receive emails).

She (at APPLE) immediately said that my warranty had run out a year ago!! I said "Too bad get me your supervisor". She wouldn't let me speak to a supervisor but instead said she'd ring up MAC1 in Melbourne to see if they can do the diagnostic test that he'd already said he couldn't do.

I am now waiting by the phone after speaking with several APPLE people and a techy to see if they are ready to lie to me about the system not booting.

I have my company lawyer on standby and am going to take APPLE to court over this issue as it's not good enough that they know about this problem but do everything in their power to slow the complaints and the FREE repairs down.

I will update this board as soon as I hear back and promise to make a splash so that this issue can be fixed WORLDWIDE.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Bad for what? It performs great for me and its a very significant step up from the intel crap that was in the previous gen. Just because other cards benchmark higher doesn't make the 9400 a "bad" card.

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

you should probably sue over the battery exploding. That's not cool at all. But I could see how the other issue could be frustrating. Also you should search this site, someone here got burned by their laptop and Apple sent them a new machine and payed for the doctor.