Macbook pro decision -- HELP REQUESTED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riggatoney, Dec 12, 2010.

1. riggatoney macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am a Web administrator for a community college and do freelance work on the side. Currently I own a 2010 macbook pro 13.3 with 8gb of ram. A professor has come into my office and offered to buy my current MBP for $1050 (with the original 4gb of ram in it). I feel like I have to sell it, due to the trouble I have working in CS5 on such a low resolution.

I (like many of you) have a problem when it comes to macbooks, I always want the newest ones and have had over 20 macbooks in the past 2 years.

I am trying to decide which machine I should upgrade too, I have a feeling that $1050 for my machine, I will NEVER get an offer like this again and want to take advantage of it.

I am not sure what to do, I would prefer to have the high-resolution matte screen but once configured its a mere $50 difference between 15 and 17inch macbook pros.

I would just get a 27inch imac, but I require the portability so I am not sure which machine I should get. Please let me know of any advice or insight anyone may have.

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'd love to help you but I feel I am in no way qualified in that field.

But I can do math ....

20 Macbooks in 24 months ( 2 years ) = .833333333 Macbooks per month

Maybe those figures can help point you in the right direction!

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

you could keep the MBP and buy yourself the 27 inch imac? so you have a home orrr you can get a 15" MBP- giving you better screen, processor,and portability. the 17" is way to heavy.. but once again- what are your configs. maybe someone can show you what to add and what not to add, etc.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

How about just buying an external screen? Ever thought of that?

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

genius simply genius.. forgot to say that so:
    + infinity

6. riggatoney thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses.

Yes I have thought about an external monitor but with the current 13inch graphics card it just doesn't cut it, I thought after upgrading to 8gb ram the 13" would suffice but it will not.

I figure its the base 15" or the 17", the problem with the 15 is i am afraid that 1050 vertical height won't be enough.

I just wish I could purchase a refurb tax free :-\

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

8. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I would say get a 15" i5 with 1680x1050 and get an external monitor to go with it, satisfies all of your constraints. I would also say, if you REALLY want to get the next best thing after then get the next 15 or 17" when they get revised. I'm HOPING that the 15" gets 1920x1080, although a HIGHLY doubt it. It would be the only thing that would make me jump from my 13" to the 15"...

9. sbw80 macrumors newbie

Hopefully meant 2

20 Macbooks in 2 years?? If thats not a mistake maybe the money would be better spent on a shrink. :confused:

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

A Macbook a month!! Good god, what are you doing with them?
    I`m assuming that`s a typo.

11. riggatoney thread starter macrumors newbie

20 in 2 years...

the reason i have been so fortunate is because some people just don't know what there machines are worth and have been able to purchase a lot of used macbooks at such low prices that I could not afford not to sell them!

i.e. a 2008 macbook core2duo for $225....

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

wow ... I have never seen a 2008 MB C2D going for that low.

are you sure these are not "hot" macs you are buying and selling?

13. mpr131 macrumors member

I just went through this same dilemma. I ended with the 17 in. and I'm glad I did. The screen on it beautiful. I am by no means a photo/video professional but tinkering with photos/videos with added real estate of the hi-res makes it worthwhile. It's not the most portable machine (mostly because of the larger footprint) but let's be honest, neither is the 15 in at only 1 lb less.