MacBook Pro, Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bibble, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Bibble macrumors member

Okay, I think I'm in need of a little experienced input at the moment.

Currently, I have a homebuilt Q6600 Tower desktop, 7GB RAM and about 7TB HDD space. The graphics arean't bad, but it's currently being used mainly as a server and workstation, with the odd game (nothing too fancy, as it simply can't handle it).

I'm looking at taking that out of the equation for the moment (not getting rid, possibly upgrading when I get the time/money), and picking up an HP Datavault X311 to take up the server role, and a MBP for the functional side of the equation.

I was sold on the 13" vanilla version, believing that it would be sufficient for anything I might wish to throw at it. I do the occasional bit of gaming, and my course needs moderately powerful hardware for some of the software it runs (doing a networking degree, so there is some modelling, monitoring and programming).

However, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I might be better off going with the 15", for a little more power, screen real estate and gaming oomph. My question is, is the power boost from the upgraded graphics and processor worth the £400 extra it would cost me (from the HE store)?

Portability is a major factor, as the course is fairly intensive, so I tend to spend entire days on campus, plus regular train journeys back home to work in the office for a time.

The other thing is, the first thing I will do is replace the hard drive with something more spacious. If there are no noise/vibration/power problems, I'd go with 500GB 7200RPM for a bit more speed, if It's necessary for 5400RPM, I'll go with a 1TB, so I have the extra space when needed.

As a background, money isn't a huge object, but if I'm reducing my weekly budget by £10, I'd like to know that I'm getting something worth while.

TL;DR:
    Is the 15" MBP worth £400 over the 13"?
    Are there any issues with 7200RPM HDDs over 5400?

2. nicname macrumors member

if your not going to do hard core gaming or rendering 13 is more than enough. Im running parallels and windows vista 7 no problem on my machine even though its the high end 13''

3. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, looking at the specs, I'm not sure that the £250 difference between the vanilla 13" and the upgraded one are worth the money, but for £400 (£500 with the better screen) if there's a power boost, graphics boost and size boost, it starts to look a little more attractive.

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Well the i5 in the basic 15" is much better than the Core 2 Duos available in the 13" models, and obviously you know the graphics card is better as well. Just depends on whether or not you feel like you need that extra processor power and if you want to run your games a bit better as well. If you mostly play games that are four or five years old then I see no reason for the 15" improved graphics card, but newer games won't run very well on the 13".

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Do you mean Windows 7 or Vista?

6. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I suspect that I will end up waiting for my money to come through and then making a snap decision, which will probably mean the 15" >.<