macbook pro deforming slowly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dguglielmo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dguglielmo macrumors newbie

ok my MBP is about 5 months old now and it is slowly warping into a pile of crap. Now its so warped around the optical drive the CDs are getting stuck when I try to eject them. Not even holding the thing upside and shaking it works. The last disk I took out, it took nearly 10 min to take out.

Also, the lining is warping and popping outwards now. I can't even close my computer wtf. I feel like apple sold me a piece of junk.

my question is, is anyone having the same issue, and what should I do about it?

2. GeneKam macrumors regular

holy ****, thats just odd. What locations do you use it at?

3. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

If an apple store is close, take it there. I've never heard of anything like that happening before.

4. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Uh how would metal warp itself?

I'm far from an Apple apologist, but I can't imagine that this is a manufacturing defect that is causing your computer to change while in your possession..

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The thin metal above my CD drive slot deformed, bending down to obstruct the opening. Turned out my local authorised repair centre had left a clip off (or something) when replacing my keyboard that was causing the deformation. They bent it back into shape and now it's fine.

Yours sounds more extreme? Pictoors!

6. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

What should you do about it?

Well, what people normally do when their purchases under warrenty go bust. Take/send it back to the store you purchased it from. Simple. :)

7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Apple needs to join force with Panasonic Toughbook.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Why? To make underpowered and overly expensive laptops?

10. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Ummm, already did that...MBA? :p

11. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Surprised no one has brought this up.

The weight from your right palm over time will warp the optical drive "shut".

Just take a thin piece of fabric or felt wrap it around a "flat-head" screw driver to prevent scratching and repry the opening.

And after self-fixing your issue be more aware about how much weight you put down on the thing ;).

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

have it checked at the genius bar.. it still is covered by warranty. can you upload some pictures to give us a better image of what you're saying?

13. dguglielmo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that bit of information. That could be part of the issue, but it does not explain how ridiculously warped the has become. Unfortunately for now I can't post pictures because my phone service got turned off to the phone I have because it is now on a new phone I am waiting to receive in the mail. The problem with being a freshman at my college is I don't have a car, and it being apple there aren't any local stores. Yay for expensive train tickets.

As for everyone saying how bizarre a story, well it is I don't know how this thing is so warped. Also, It has to be a design flaw because I don't use my computer in any weird way or store it in a strange way. Well if I need to replace it I luckily have a 750GB external hard drive to store all my crap.

I think the issue actually might be that the screws located at the corners of the laptop are screwed in too tight causing uneven and unnecessary stress on the thin frame of the computer. Pictures should be up in a few days.

14. danhig123 macrumors member

Hmm it is a shame this is still an issue. My old 12'' Powerbook G4 suffered from warping at one corner meaning it wouldn't sit flat on a desk. At one point I could slot two coins undernieth it in order to stabalise it. I fixed it myself by applying a steady pressure to the one corner untill it was back in shape. I needed to do it every month or so.

Here is to hoping any potential re-design solves this issue!

Danny