Macbook Pro Deleting 300,000 items from trash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew K., Jul 21, 2009.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Anyone have a clue why my MBP is doing this? somehow I my trashcan acquired a file that said backup.something :confused: which looked like a full backup of my harddrive, but I already have it backed up in time machine on my backup drive. It's been deleting from 300,000 down to 80,000 for about 13 hours. I tried to take the folder out but it just started copying everything to the desktop which was gonna take the same amount of time. Should I let it keep deleting? It's kinda ridiculous it's taking so long.

2. Benjic macrumors regular

Yep, deleting a TM backup takes a little while. Next time, hold down the option key and hit empty, and it'll do a force delete.

3. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, thanks for the tip :D

EDIT: Hey if I stop it now and to the force delete will it delete faster?

4. bamf macrumors 6502

Backups.Backupdb is your time machine backup. You sure it didn't get deleted somehow...

5. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I just plugged in my physical backup drive and everything is still there.

6. Panzo macrumors 6502

that happened to me once, i was backing up important documents, the backup stopped all of a sudden creating a sparsebundle i deleted it and restarted the machine to find out i had corrupted a few key files needed by osx, i cried, reinstalled osx, without a back up, payed some douche to write my term paper, now i tried backing up again, and same thing happened all over again at this point i was furious, i slammed the laptop down and just went completely ape **** on my external hard drive, literally. i destroyed and took a **** on it afterwards.