Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
The basic design of the MBP has not changed for years -- it goes way back. If you look at the Macbook, you can see that the MB has a more recent -- and functional -- design. My main problem with the MBP is that you can't replace the hard disk -- as you can, easily, on the MB. This was not a big issue until the SATA disks came along. It is true that the MBP design is still elegant and (for the most part) functional. But it certainly needs to be upgraded so the hard disk is accessible and can be changed as it can on the MBP. It also needs to add a slot for SD cards and a SATA connector. I almost bought a new MBP today but hesitated because of the hard disk issue. Certainly a state-of-the-art computer today should allow an external SATA disk without having to buy an express card.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You can change the hard drive, it just may not be as simple as on a macbook. Also, the warratny obviously wouldn't cover the hard drive, or anything you screw up. You can easily add support for SD through USB or teh expresscard. Same thing with an eSata, through expresscard.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
The basic design of the MBP has not changed for years -- it goes way back. If you look at the Macbook, you can see that the MB has a more recent -- and functional -- design. My main problem with the MBP is that you can't replace the hard disk -- as you can, easily, on the MB. This was not a big issue until the SATA disks came along. It is true that the MBP design is still elegant and (for the most part) functional. But it certainly needs to be upgraded so the hard disk is accessible and can be changed as it can on the MBP. It also needs to add a slot for SD cards and a SATA connector. I almost bought a new MBP today but hesitated because of the hard disk issue. Certainly a state-of-the-art computer today should allow an external SATA disk without having to buy an express card.

While you're certainly welcome to your opinions, you must remember that Apple cannot possibly develop a single machine to fit every user's needs or wants. Personally, I don't think that an SATA connector would be justifiable enough to most users to warrant a change to the case to incorporate it. An SD slot is more widely used, but I still don't think its such a universal connector to incorporate into the design of the MacBook Pro such that it was a standard, non-removable feature.

This is why external peripherals exist: so they can fit the specific needs of individual users.

As to the HD replacement issue...how often do you really need to replace the internal drive? Macs have not traditionally been machines that you take apart and put back together, nor have they usually been open to user upgrades. Most people will tell you this. The current MBP design works well, and just because you can't easily replace the HD on a whim means that it needs a redesign. Really, what percentage of people truly need to replace the internal HD? And what smaller percentage of these needs can't be satisfied with a fast, external SATA enclosure?

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
Not being able to change the harddrive easily on the MBP is definitely a big drawback.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I can't imagine that apple isn't working on this point right now. We can pretty much expect mag latches, user accessible hard drives, etc. at some point sooner than later on the pros. Just have a little patience.

Oh, and those minor issues hardly render the design "obsolete" :rolleyes:

kcross

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
i actually would agree. theyve been pulling this design along for 4 years (since the Albooks were released). it could even be argued that the design hasnt seen a sweeping revision since 2001.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
They really should redesign it to allow users to easily replace the hard drive though. That and ram are the two things that are most often upgraded so it would make sense to be able to do it yourself.

starlabs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
I would agree with the original poster, as well. Given that the base 2.2Ghz MBP has only 120GB, a lot of people would love to upgrade to at least 160GB. If you look around, a lot of laptops "comparable" to the MBPs are sporting 160GB as a default hd size.

For some reason Apple always lags behind when it comes to minimum stats (e.g., offering 512mb ram when most others were offering 1gb, smaller hard drivers than competitors, etc...)

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Not being able to change the harddrive easily on the MBP is definitely a big drawback.

Errr, how exactly is it a 'big drawback' ? What would you be doing that would require you to exchange a hard drive? I do a lot of audio editing on an 80 GB hard drive (internal), whenever it starts to get too full then I very simply move some files off to an external drive.

Could you shed some light on the rational for 'needing' to exchange a hard drive in a laptop? Maybe that will help with understanding why it might be a drawback.

Sopranino

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Could you shed some light on the rational for 'needing' to exchange a hard drive in a laptop? Maybe that will help with understanding why it might be a drawback.

I can see where it would be needed when working with large amounts of photos and for professional designers creating brouchures and such with photoshop, quark, etc. Then again, most professionals proably are not going to use a laptop to do this work on.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Again, they use external hard drives, because if files were "critical", having it in a separate environment where it would not be carried around and generally in a safer environment than your laptop (wherever it might be). This is an argument that I frequently see and the first reply is use external hard drives.
Personally, I have replaced a MBP and an iBook hard drive. It is not that difficult, ESPECIALLY in the MBP.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I guess the thing is that when you buy a new laptop, you'll go for the biggest HDD you can afford. Also, most people I know now have at least one external HDD at their home/office.

And on top of all of that, replacing a HDD in these isn't really that difficult. Not sure why it seems to be thought of as a difficult procedure.

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
I guess the thing is that when you buy a new laptop, you'll go for the biggest HDD you can afford. Also, most people I know now have at least one external HDD at their home/office.

And on top of all of that, replacing a HDD in these isn't really that difficult. Not sure why it seems to be thought of as a difficult procedure.

I seen some pictures of it on how to do this, does not look too hard. Only thing is that it voids your warranty of what I have heard... :(

starlabs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
It's not particularly hard, but it ain't easy either :p

Replacing the hd in the MBP requires removing THIRTY (30!) screws and lifting off the keyboard, and removing various internal entities - keyboard ribbon, bluetooth attachment, etc...

Compare this with the Macbook - removing the battery, and removing 7 screws (3 for the small plate covering the hd and memory, and 4 for the bracket holding the hd).

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Given that HD's are probably the most frequent cause of failure in a computer, I think a user-replaceable HD on the MBP would be great. They've done it with the MacBook, hopefully they will do it with the MBP. Hard drives get bigger every year, and with all the photos/music/movies people have, being able to easily upgrade a HD is a nice option.

I don't think the MBP is obsolete by any means (far from it!), but having the flexibility on my MacBook is great. Not everyone wants to lug around an external HD.

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
Errr, how exactly is it a 'big drawback' ? What would you be doing that would require you to exchange a hard drive? I do a lot of audio editing on an 80 GB hard drive (internal), whenever it starts to get too full then I very simply move some files off to an external drive.

Sopranino

If I want a bigger harddrive in the laptop, it would be cheaper to exchange it myself. A side effect of that would be that I would also have a longer warranty on the harddrive.

If the harddrive fails and the warranty is over, it would be very good if it was easy to replace. Or if I just want a bigger harddrive later on.

An external harddrive is definitely not as easy to carry around all the time.

kcross

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
the arguement for larger harddrives (thus being able to easily upgrade) is that so much audio/video content is being delievered now-a-days. think of the new mbp 17in with the hi-res screen, if you want to make good use of that for video youll being storing high resolution video, and we all know how much space that takes up. with the march towards massive amounts of storage, it only makes sense to factor in the ability to extend storage without external drives. give it another year and look at how much more storage (and at faster speeds) we will be able to put in laptops. i cant think of any way to argue that it shouldnt be simpler to swap in a new drive.

for instance. i fly a lot. i like to watch movies on an airplane that are stored on my internal drive. then i dont have to have an external drive eating extra battery or have to rummage through a carry on to pull out a dvd.

hell if apple really wanted to get ahead of the game they could include the flash memory that the santa rosa chipset supports and make drives hot swappable with the same ease as a battery. its not a technological barrier, they just havent seen the demand.

p.s. even though im certainly not one of them, some people are not comfortable changing/adding ram, much less a hard drive that requires a lot of disassembly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.