Macbook pro desk setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdobbs95, Aug 13, 2017.

1. gdobbs95 macrumors newbie

gdobbs95

I have a question regarding desk setups for MacBook. With the new MacBooks I've seen a lot of awesome setups than only require the thunderbolt 3 cable in order to make a whole setup work which includes a monitor with an external hard drive plugged into it and a usb hub also plugged into it. Similar to the one in this link:

Is it possible to do a similar setup but with using thunderbolt 2 from my early 2015 MacBook pro? If so would i be able to get a monitor like that for $500?

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I think that setup is more to show that the lack of ports on the new MacBook Pro can be resolved.

With the 2015 you already have two USB etc so no need for that setup.

I have a Samsung 24'' with 2015 rMBP and apple keyboard, Logitech wireless mouse.
    All good I dont think it is 4K despite the monitor being 4K, but the setup is like an iMac fantastic screen.
    Price a lot less than $500 the 28'' was the same price as 24" but as the screen gets larger I read some programs dont always show correctly.

3. ZapNZs, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

You can implement a 2 cable solution - the MagSafe cord for power, and a Thunderbolt 2 dock for your USB/TB/DP/HDMI/SD/etc. If you get something like the CalDigit TS2, you could hook your speakers, mouse, keyboard, hard drives, SD card, and monitor into the Thunderbolt dock, and connecting to all of them would be using just that single TB cable.

The TS2 is currently on sale for like $200.

Displays range anywhere from $60 to $1,000+, depending on what you want. You can get a nice 27-inch 1080p display for under $200 - a nice 27-inch 4k display will be closer to the $400-550 range.