Macbook Pro Desk Stand... Pretty interesting

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IDANNY, Jun 28, 2009.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I have been looking for something like this for a while now. Because the way my room is set up I cannot face my television (which I use as a secondary monitor) while on the computer.
    Ive got a macbook pro.
    Anybody have one of these?
    Is there anything better out there?
    http://www.airdesks.com/

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any advice.:apple:

2. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yes this is the same idea but on wheels. I would think that the wheels may make the whole thing unstable.
    Does anyone know of a bigger company that makes something like this
    like belkin?

3. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Airdesks far superior product! Design, practically and aesthetically! That second one is pretty functional but looks as if it's from some ancient puritanical school yukk!

4. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Do you have an airdesk by any chance?

5. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

6. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Quote verbatim form a review:-
    just bought this and there were issues so for want of a better place to put it, here is my airdesk review.
    I've tried all three configurations of the air desk - the couch/sofa (32 inch), the tall (42 inch), and an exercise machine configuration. It works fine in the 32 inch configuration. It is only a little wobbly and can support the weight of one's hands on the wrist-pads. The taller ones are far too wobbly. The wobbliness of the taller configurations stems from the flexing of the poles themselves. The joint between the base itself also flexes, as it is relatively thin steel. Also because the circular base needs to be set underneath the exercise machine to get close enough, it really wobbles on its own (by about six inches side-to-side) when the exercise machine is running -- one would have to constantly steady it with one's hands. It just doesn't work in this configuration.

The overall fit and finish is a little less polished than one might expect. From the pictures one might think the hardware holding it together (the cross-fitting, height adjuster ring, and hub) was made of metal, but it is not -- it is some sort of black plastic or vinyl. This affects rigidity in the case of the cross-fitting.
    The sawed-off and drilled out plastic parts are not sanded and polished to a shine but are left with rough saw-marks. The acrylic laptop table also had some irregularities in its surface -- a slight mottling of the shine, perhaps due to heat from the saw blade. I was a little disappointed at first but eventually chose to think of this as quaint hand-made charm.
    The angle adjustment of the laptop arm is also not very precise due to the oval shape of the laptop arm cross-section, and the plastic bolt in the arm tightener. Perhaps using larger pipe and a round-cross-section would help with this.

The large circular base makes the unit less portable than it could be, since you have to put the furniture on it to get it close. Even then it is not as rigid as it could be - a little hand pressure on the laptop arm causes the far-end of the base to flex upward off the floor by a few millimeters. Part of this is because the metal base fitting which connects the pole to the base, is only a few inches across at the base end.

In my opinion the whole thing should have been constructed with 1.5 to 2-inch pipe rather than the 7/8 inch pipe they used. A larger pole-to-base fitting would help with rigidity. I also think a tripod arrangement would have made a better base. Finally metal hardware all around would help with rigidity and precision.

All that said, I am not sending it back. I could not find a better laptop tray for general sitting. The swing-away function is really nice and nobody else has it.
    For bed use, though I would go with something else - an overbed cart or a bed-supported stand. Anyway I decided I really don't need to be laptopping in bed. For the exercise machine I think a clamp-on type of mount would be neater and more secure. And again - do I really need the laptop while exercising? It's probably better to give it a break!

7. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

thanks for all the help xiovoix,
    this review got me second guessing the purchase.
    I called there tech support and got right thru to a guy.
    He was very nice I am guessing he builds them himself.
    I may order it tonight if I cant find anything else that strikes
    my fancy.