MacBook Pro Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VAGfan007, Feb 23, 2011.

1. VAGfan007 macrumors newbie

Hi!! :D

I just received a Macbook Pro (2.16 GHz Intel/1 GB RAM/256 MB VRAM) from a friend who spilled a glass of water on it.

Now it is in my hands I figured it would be fun to try and fix the thing, but I've run into a wall and are unsure of where to go (I am more of a software troubleshooting guy than hardware).

I first tried to turn it on and heard the optical and the hard drive spin up, the backlight comes on (but no image), and then it clicks and turns off.

I opened it up and pulled the hard drive to test that first by plugging it into an external enclosure, (and it works fine to my surprise). That eliminates that as the problem.

Also I removed the RAM and attempted to start it. At this point I got the blinking light that I would expect as a notification of missing/bad RAM. Am I right to assume that if I got this response that means that the logic board is still responsive? Or does it need to be replaced?

With RAM installed I tried to boot from a disc instead and the drive tried three times to read it then ejected the disc. I feel that this is more a problem with the drive then the board, but am unsure. How likely is it that the optical drive is bad?

At no point have I gotten an image on the screen, the best has been the backlight coming on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The logic board has been damaged by the water. You're looking at $800-1000 fix probably. Sorry.

jW

3. VAGfan007 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm thinking. I don't get a startup chime either so it seems that must be it. I have found logic boards for about $100 so I am going to try and order one and replace it. The keyboard doesn't light up either so a new keyboard is necessary too.