Macbook Pro died, trying to save FCP project

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sandsmac, May 13, 2014.

1. Sandsmac macrumors newbie

Urgently need advise because I have hit too many brick walls!!

I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2008 A1260. The Logic board has died. [I have confirmed this with a service center] HD is fine and all date and programs are there.
    I am using Final Cut Pro Suit 2 (FCP 6) to edit some videos for a textbook project I am authoring. I also have many photos that are included in the textbook that are edited with Lightroom 2 & Photoshop CS5. I have invested 2 years and thousands of dollars in this project. I need about 2 months more to finish this textbook.

* I do not want to buy the latest Mac with FCPX. I don't want to spend the money and the time learning the new, FCPX, Plus none of my work would mesh smoothly with the new programs. The patch work and learning curve would take 2 months alone.

* I am working at an American university in the Middle East and I can't get the old MBP fixed because people here don't usually "repair" things.. they just buy new. I have had the IT dept on campus look at it and they don't have any suggestions.

Any suggestions how I can get back to working using all my old programs and date?

Thanks
    Sands

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well buy a new computer, take the old HDD out of the computer and put it in a external enclosure. Than use system migration to move everything over.

And backup your stuff in the future. Apple makes this very easy with Time Machine.

3. Sandsmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Migrations won't help

Alphaod,
    Thanks for the suggestion but it won't work in my case.
    Apple Migration Assistant will NOT move the OS. So if I do buy a new computer, (equipped with OS X Maverick) I can migrate all my files and applications BUT Maverick will not support FCP 6. I don't know about support with Lightroom 2 or others.
    I would need to do one jump to FCP 7 then buy an additional program to up FCP7 to FCPX That is after I have purchased FCPX.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Alphaod's suggestion was correct.

There is one other alternative:
    Hunt down a USED Mac that is capable of running FCP 6.

If you're not willing to do that, I don't see any "escape route" through which you can buy a new Mac, yet avoid upgrading your software.

5. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

While a little expensive, you could replace the logic board. Here are the instructions with links to purchase a new logic board.