Macbook Pro dies during power up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingmoe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kingmoe macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a intel 15" macbook pro. I hadn't powered the computer on for a couple days and now when I try to turn it on, I can hear the computer start to boot and then there is a sort of high pitched "dying" noise and the computer loses power. This problem has happened in the past and I simply left the computer on the shelf for a month and it started working again.

I now don't have a month to let this sit on the shelf so I was wondering if anybody knows what the problem is. When it dies, I hear the sort of beep noise coming from the bottom left of the computer if that helps diagnose the issue.

Thanks ahead for any help or advice.

2. raep macrumors member

raep

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That would be the computer cutting power to the components. The only thing that can make an audible sound as you have described would be the HDD. Have you ever held the power button while your computer was on (to "hardboot" it)? I have, and my HDD always makes a beep sound. You probably have a logic board issue. Is the battery fully charged? Is the MBP plugged in to the wall?

4. kingmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am not sure if this is the issue. I don't think that the noise is a beep designed by Apple for detection purposes. It is more a sound that is coming from the back left corner almost where the power supply is. I press the power button, here the computer attempt to start and then only about 2 seconds into booting it dies, and its a dying sound im hearing from the laptop.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Are you able to take a video demonstrating the issue?

6. kingmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have "hardbooted" before. Also, the battery is full and I have tried booting with and without being plugged into the wall. I imagine a logic board issue cannot be fixed myself. Is it expensive to fix?

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It depends which model of MBP you have. What month/year did you buy it?

8. kingmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I could take a video, but there's not much to show, nothing comes up on the screen and the sounds are startup sounds and a faint dying sound so I don't know how much they would help. I bought the computer in June of 2008. Is it time to just buy a new one?

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It could be the faulty 8600M GPU...

10. kingmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

But would the computer shut off from a faulty video component? I could see it being that if the computer stayed on but the screen stayed off. It seems to me that the computer is trying to boot up but fails after about 2 seconds. Regardless, would this be an expensive repair?

11. AlphaDogg, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nevermind my previous post. It is probably not a defective 8600M GPU. It would be an ~$800 repair. Maybe it is just worth it to spring for a new MBP. If you can wait until the next revision of MBP's then you should wait. But I understand that if you really need it now, then you need it now (and cannot wait)...