Macbook Pro DIES when play WOW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woien, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Woien macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook pro (late 2008) with 4Gb and best graphics.

The problem I have is when I play WOW, many times the computer halts when play WoW.
    Sometimes i can play long time and its really random.

I also have the new 24" and there the problem is more frequent.

Anyone have suggestions ?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Is this in MacOS or via Windows?
    It could be over heating, does the fans come on?

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Do you have iStats? Turn off S.M.A.R.T reporting.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Download Fan Control 1.2 and set your settings for Fan Control (found in System Preferences) to this:

[​IMG]

I had the same problem with the fans not coming on at all - I always use this.

5. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

If it happens more often when he's plugged into an external monitor, and the computer is "halting" i.e. freezing when playing a graphically intensive application such as a game, then its a broken graphics card, since you have the newest Macbook Pro with 2 graphics cards is this happening when you use the low power 9400 graphics card or the high power 9600 graphics card?

Either way the temporary fix is to change which graphics card your using while playing games, however if you want to permanently fix the problem you have to take your Macbook into any Apple store, and book an appointment with a Genius, they'll look at it for 2 mins, tell you exactly what i just have, and then tell you its going to take 5 days to fix.

During this time they'll need to replace the whole logic board inside the laptop (motherboard) because the graphics cards are soldiered onto it, however i wouldnt worry because you wont loose any data.

Normally a logic board replacement would cost $600, however since your laptop must still be under its 1st year warranty it will be free for you

:):apple:

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

While it could be a dodgy GPU, it most likely is the fans not spinning up. It's a common problem with the Unibody MBP's. Resetting the SMC sometimes helps, but temperatures were getting to 90'C without the fans going above 2000RPM. The computer is designed to auto turn off when the temperatures get too hot..

And possible reason it is worse when he uses his 24" display is because he's probably using his MBP in clamshell mode, which will cause it to overheat much quicker if the fans don't come on.

I'm sure the OP will report back whether his fans were kicking in or not.

7. Woien thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant remember hearing the fans before like i do now when installing the fancontrol program...nice thx!!

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just downloaded the dmg and I was wondering if that's the same as SMCFanControl?

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Naw - SMCFanControl does a similar thing, but only you have to tell it when the fans should come on.

Fan Control has much more options - and the fans come on without you having to say.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks Kilamite, works like a charm. The difficult part was finding it after I installed it...:p