MacBook Pro Dilema! Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c0mplex, Feb 18, 2010.

  1. c0mplex macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #1
    Hi, i'm a new member here.
    I bought a new Macbook Pro a little over a month ago, 13" 2.26.
    After discovering these forums, i found out about the new upcoming update and now I'm not sure what to do. I am currently on the fence about whether or not i should sell my current MBP and buy the updated version or just keep the one i have.

    I bought the current one for 1200 including tax. It has 2gb mem and 160gb HDD. I was planning on upgrading the memory to 4gb and eventually replacing the hard drive. It seemed reasonable to me that if the updated base model included 4gb of memory and a bigger HDD, then i should sell the current one i have.
    I have gotten offers for my current one of $1000, what should i do?
    I was wondering if the prices for MBP's will go up at all or will they stay the same (1,199 for base 13", hopefully it will have a better processor?) How have past updates worked? Was there a price change too or did they just change specs?

    I use my MBP for school and music recording, Logic Studio Pro; If i did decide to sell and get the updated version, would i notice a difference in performance and longevity if it were to come with an i3 or i5? I would still plan on getting the cheapest MBP of the update which is hopefully around 1200. If Apple decides to keep the C2D in the low end models of MBP for 1200 i will just keep mine.

    So the question is, should i sell now for 1000 and wait for the update, or wait for the update then risk selling it for less, or should i just keep my current one. Thanks for the advice in advance.
     
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #2
    It is a great machine
    I would recommend just keep it and enjoy it :)
     
  3. c0mplex thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #3
    I do love it and enjoy it very much, but at the cost of adding a new HDD and memory on my own would run about 150 depending on what i get, if the updated MBP is sold for 1200 base price with 4GB mem and a bigger hard drive, i would chose to upgrade.
    Along with jut that, i would get the additional updated features, whatever they may be, along with a better processor that will last longer, i not exactly sure of the performance difference though. I will mostly be using Logic Studio Pro and some photoshop.
    Also, with a one month old MBP, is 1000 reasonable, or can i get more for it? Thanks for helping out again!
     
  4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

    MrCheeto

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #4
    Common case of Oldgenosis.

    Everything you will ever buy will become outdated and bested by the next release.

    [​IMG]
     
  5. ammusk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    #5
    I agree.
     
  6. Collider macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    #6
    Seconded.

    If you like the machine you've effectively just bought, and if it does everything you need, exactly how you want it to, why would you put yourself through the hassle of selling it, then having to spend the $200 difference on another one? Really, you're just throwing away $200 for the sake of having something a few weeks newer than the thing you already have, with which there is absolutely nothing wrong... and you'll no doubt still end up buying the same RAM and harddrive upgrades you're already planning, anyway.

    Just enjoy your new MBP. As the above commenter observed, it's a really great machine as it is.
     
  7. c0mplex thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #7
    If they were to update the base 13" to 4gb memory and say a 320gb HDD with i3, it would not be a throw-away of $200. It would be either, spend 200 on 4gb mem and 320gb HDD to add or spend $200 on i3, 4gb mem, 320gb HDD, new apple care, higher resell value, plus possibly more. But thanks to everyone that replied. I will probably keep it, until the update at least and see what i will want to do with it then when i know what the update is exactly. Either way, i love this thing. Thanks guys!
     
  8. hundert macrumors regular

    hundert

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    #8
    If I were you, I would sell the current, if I could find a buyer for like $950-1000.

    Because there is a time pressure, do it NOW. When new come out, yours will be even less worth.

    The new 13 is expected to have i3, but there is no proof that it will. The chance is almost 100%, but who knows which Apple is gonna update. The only bad side of it.


    I think, keeping the book is a bad advice, if you can sell it for a lot and get an updated one one. This move will cost you 250 dollars or so, but you will gain a lot. Then, if in a year or two you wanna sell your 13 (whichever one you will have then), the old one will be less worth, so in the future, you will lose money if you don't change to the newer! It is worth making the move!

    I did many times buy computers for two month of use and then sold them right away to upgrade!
    By the way I put my 17 inch on ebay today, because updates are expected. Otherwise it will be less value when they come out, and I have to buy a new one.
     
  9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #9
    Keep it...I did the same as you.

    I bought a base 13" when the apple store actually beat the amazon price taking 10% off and threw in iworks at at good price.

    So the new 13 inch gets the core i3. Big deal. That's not much of a gain. And they might even be linked with the intel graphics.

    Sorry..just not worth it.

    I think there are going to be allot of disappointed people when the refreshed i3 comes out.
     
  10. LoganCircle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #10
    I'm with this guy.

    I agree with this guy. Keeping in mind only apple knows when this is going to be released, I'd say sell it. Especially if you have something else to work on for the few days to few months it takes them to release it.
     
  11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

    cloroxbleach4

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #11
    I don't think you would benefit that greatly from an update, but it's always nice to have the current generation of any technology product.

    It's really up to you on what you choose to do. I personally would sell it while I can and wait for the update.
     
  12. MADMAXX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #12
    I hammer my laptops and find that they fit my needs for about 18 months. But to be fair the power of most modern laptops will stand you much longer as OS X has a long way to advance as a 64 bit OS. And the apps I use dont currently utilise my machine to its full advantage. As for my Nahaleem Mac Pro? I see that lasting me several years.
     
  13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    Exeter
    #13
    Assuming that they use i3 in the pro range, which is unlikely imo.
     
  14. c0mplex thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #14
    This is tough. I got two offers of 1100 for it. I bought it for ~1200 with a student discount. I told them i wanted to wait till something next week because i have a test coming up, all the buyers were fine with waiting. If Apple updates tuesday, i will be happy.
    I just hope the price of the base 13 doesn't go up because of the upgrade. I'm not really doing it because of the i3. If its the same amount of memory and HDD space then i probably wont go through the trouble of selling it cause then i would have to back everything up and transfer it. It all kinda depends on what Apple does with the update really. Thanks again for everyone's opinion.
     
  15. Peter95 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #15
    Honestly I don't think ts worth it for you to sell it....

    YOU ARE LOSING MORE THAN $200!!!

    You bought it for $1200 and you sell it for $1000, that is minus $200.
    You purchase the new one for $1200 + tax and you are spending Technically spending another $200 + tax on top of your original purchase so technically you are losing at least $400 And tax which is not worth it...

    You already bought it so spend extra cash for that extra ram.
     
  16. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    #16
    Mr Cheeto is right on the nose. No matter when you buy a technology (especially computers) in a few months they will be 'outdated' by some new thing coming out. I have the exact same mac as you, and I thoroughly enjoy it. If you did not know that they might come out with the new update, would you enjoy a new mac any more?
     
  17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

    kny3twalker

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #17
    Thats not right !

    current one was $1200 and lets say a new one will be $1200 too
    so thats $1200 + $1200 = $2400

    then lets say the op sells his for $1000

    so thats $2400 - $1000 = $1400

    which is $200 more than a new macbook pro, not $400

    and in the ideal situation the op is looking for
    lets say the new macbook comes with a 320 GB HDD and 4 GB Ram

    so then the op would not have to spend the roughly $200 for the HDD and Ram

    so thats $1400 - $200 = $1200, making the cost equal of keeping the current one and upgrading versus buying the new one.

    Anyways I think you should keep the one you have now cause you are walking a the thin line of expecting things from apple while trying to sell people equipment for nearly retail which is about to be discontinued, and you might get bit in the end. Either end up with two notebooks, end up with a new one which needs a new HDD or Ram, etc....
    And anyone that pays you $1100 for yours is a moron, when they can be bought refurbished from apple for less.
     
  18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

    kny3twalker

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #18
    You think if apple releases a new notebook next week they will still give you $1100 for it?
     
  19. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    Exeter
    #19
    Yeah, I'd sell asap if you're getting offers like that!
     
  20. Peter95 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #20
    Oh you are right.... But don't forget to add tax also =)

    either way, I don't think the new mbp will come factory 4 gb ram, I think it'll still be an option.... The higher mbp in 14 will be 4 though...

    Op, just keep it since you already bought it. I would su otherwise if you didn't purchase it yet...
     

Share This Page