Macbook Pro Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbyrae808, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bobbyrae808 macrumors newbie

Please help.
    I have wanted a Mac for years and finally decided to get one cause my Dell is broken. Basically I wanted to wait for the new Macbook because I was going to buy it originally in June but didn't want to buy it cause I thought an upgrade was coming. I was so disappointed to see it has been discontinued. Now I don't know what to do? I want a Mac and was looking at the Pro, it is so expensive though (yes I know not that much more than the Macbook was but still over 1000). I saw a refurbished 13 inch pro for 979 which looks very good but I think it would probably be better to get the 13 inch new for 1200 with the student discount?What are people's opinions? Is is dodgy buying refurbished and if I do will I get a free Lion upgrade and the 75 voucher for the app store?Also is it an awful idea to consider getting a refurbished Macbook for 849?it is so much cheaper.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I highly recommend refurb. I got my MBP refurb and have no regrets or issues. Arrive in NEW/RETAIL condition minus the retail box. Still comes with 1yr warranty.

Good way to save $, I recommend refurb, well from Apple at least.

3. bobbyrae808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a million for the response. See I think by the time I get the refurbished which is only 100 and something cheaper and get the 75 euro voucher and free Lion upgrade plus the fact it would be new I would be better off buying it new?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

After taxes? Not sure. I saved $240 and to me that was enough.

Whats the $75 voucher for?

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you can always get apple care to give you some piece of mind that the computer will last!

6. bobbyrae808 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have decided to buy the Macbook Pro 13" new with my college discount so it will cost 1096 euro in total. However I was considering getting apple care but it was too dear at 250 euro but with my discount i can get it for 154 euro. Is it worth getting apple care?I am nervous spending this much money and not having a warranty after 1 year. ANy experiences with apple care?

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

As for AppleCare, I always buy it. I had 7 days left of AppleCare on my Early 2008 MBP and Apple said it had too many problems with it so as a good will gesture they replaced it with a brand new High End MBP (2.3, 15" anti-glare) for free. If I didn't have AppleCare, I would have been paying out of pocket. I did add AppleCare to this one as well.

I also have a Mini Server that with AppleCare, I get full phone support (normally it is only 90 days) and it has paid off immensely throughout the years. I highly recommend it, especially with the education discounts.

8. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

You could get Apple Care anytime before the 1-year warranty expires, so that it won't be too much of a financial burden for you now. You can check when your current warranty expires here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Enter your serial number, then on the next page look under Repairs and Service Coverage.

For Mac notebooks, I highly recommend getting Apple Care. Repairs on a MacBook Pro can be very expensive, and having just one repair covered by Apple Care pays for itself.

9. bobbyrae808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there is a way to move over my iTunes from my Dell to my Pro when it comes and keep all the plays etc? I have the option to either back it up on CD's or use ethernet (not sure how to use that though if anyone has any simple advice?).