Macbook Pro Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AirWoodson, Feb 16, 2010.

  1. AirWoodson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    I'm new to this forum, but have read a lot of informative posts. I'm currently in a Macbook Pro dilemma (as probably many people are on this forum).

    I just recently sold my 2008 2.4 ghz MBP on craigslist, as I wanted to upgrade to the newer unibody MBP's. I'm now back to using my 2002 Dell 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 desktop until i get my new laptop.

    The local Fry's has the 2.53 ghz 15" MBP on sale for $1449, and I was able to get my local Best Buy to price match and give me the 18 months no interest financing.

    I haven't opened it yet, as I'm anxiously waiting to see if the new refresh comes out this week or next week (I have 14 days to return the Best Buy mbp).

    there's also someone local who's selling a brand new sealed 2.8 ghz unibody mbp for $1750, which is a great deal as well, assuming it is brand new as he states.

    What do you guys recommend? The smart thing would be to probably wait for the refresh, but I'm getting impatient, and I feel that going with one of the 2009 models at the discounted rate wouldn't be a bad option.

    The wait is killing me.
     
  2. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    #3
    If you are dropping over ONE THOUSAND dollars on a laptop anytime soon, then you should definitely wait for the refresh. The difference between 1400 and 1800 is not that much considering you are already spending over 1k on a laptop. you might as well go ahead and get the best you can get.
     
  3. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #4
    WOW!! I never thought i would hear these words from Steve Jobs' mouth in a million years. :D
     
  4. FoxDavis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Location:
    Puyallup, WA.
    #5
    I think you might be a little happier if you wait. I am still using my crap PC laptop and I was so so close to picking one up but something told me to just wait. I am glad I did and I am so looking forward to whatever it is that is coming.

    Plus there will always be deals on the ones still out there.
     
  5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

    Clete2

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    While I agree with all that you're saying, the price difference is 33%. That's substantial.
     
  6. robotkiller macrumors 6502

    robotkiller

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #7
    Wait. While the difference between C2D and i5 is not huge in daily use, there is always the possibility that the display will be refreshed. That is something that you would definitely regret missing out on.
     
  7. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #8
    ...Or graphics card(s).

    ...Or ports.

    ...Or anything else Steve said would blow us away in future Macs for them to go to the "next level".

    All that means: I'm waiting, and so should you. :apple:
     
  8. Luba macrumors 6502a

    Luba

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    #9
    Definitely wait, imo, cuz you have a laptop to use while you wait. If you had nothing, well then, you'd have no choice.
     
  9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    Exeter
    #10
    Isn't it a bit more like a 17% difference?
     
  10. cathyy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    #11
    I'd recommend waiting. The current C2D + 9600M GT tech is outdated like hell. Even my 2 year old MBP with it's C2D T8300 and 8600M GT still stands up against it pretty well. Newer notebooks with Core i5/i7 processors and ATI 5000 cards beat the crap out of these old notebooks.

    Besides, you're totally gonna kick yourself in the butt when the new series gets announced.

    It's 28% more actually.
     
  11. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    If you can wait and afford the new one, then waiting makes sense.

    If you need it now, keep it.

    My 08 MBP has more then enough power, and the current crop of laptops generally have more horsepower then what most users need. While its great to wait for the latest and greatest many of those who are waiting don't need or will take advantage of the extra horsepower.
     
  12. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    #13
    I think that given the advancements in software in recent years and Apple's focus on smaller devices and the iPhone OS, I guess the weary Mac buyer should realize that a lot of horse power isn't necessary for a great user experience, even on a Mac.

    Granted, I only have unibody hardware.
     
  13. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #14
    Too true. You'll feel better if you wait. Patience is a virtue; in this case you'll get 28% more virtue.
     
  14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #15
    Think that just about sums it up perfectly, buy a machine when you need it and you'll be okay. I did want to add one thing though as there is one BIG advantage to buying mature hardware - all the bugs and build issues should have either been sorted out or should be very well known so you can make an informed decision. If, for example, Apple switch to an IPS panel for the next MBP there's always the chance it'll be affected with the same issues that we've seen in the 27" iMac. The mantra of 'never buy first revision of any new Apple product' isn't entirely without grounding sadly.
     
  15. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    #16
    i don't remember saying anything about a "next level"

    goddamit i need to stop drinking so much:(:apple:
     
  16. macgrl macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    #17
    I would wait. I waited in 2008 for the new mbp and was glad I did
     
  17. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #18
    Yes . . . but if you had waited . . . 2 more years . . . and a little more . . . and then some more . . .
     

Share This Page