Macbook Pro Dimple / Dent :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkesy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. sparkesy macrumors newbie

I feel absolutely sick.

I just dropped my iPhone 4, from shoulder height, whilst sitting at my macbook Pro 13" and have ended up with a perfectly fine iPhone (which I'm astonished at considering the front and back are glass) and a dimple in the top section of the unibody casing below the keyboard to the left of the mouse plate.

To say I'm gutted is to say the least, the laptops only just 6 months old.

Its not affecting operation at all and the laptops totally fine but it's just noticeable and annoying :(

2. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Aluminium is a terrible material for casing, and the glass too.
    As shiny and beautyful as fragile and dentable..

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing, but to the right side of the trackpad.

Luckily I had some recent keyboard problems and Apple replaced the top case :)

4. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Ah - a beauty scar, huh? I also have a dent in mine by the trackpad, but I don't see it as a big deal. Pics, btw?

5. modit macrumors 6502

Nearly felt the same pain!

I know how you feel. On the 7th day of my new MacBook Pro in September, I put the charger in an electrical plug in the roof of cubicle right above my Mac. Needless to say, minute later the huge MagSafe fell right on the keyboard at the hinge. It left a small but deep gash from the open charger plug.

I read on how to fix it, from that car scratch fix-it to brushing it away with a metal brush. I came to the conclusion that nothing will work. It really tried to avoid looking at it but it kinda killed me due to my mild OCD. I was $2100 Canadian and my first Mac.

Thank God I was in the 14 day return period so they took it back. I'm now waiting for the updated MacBook Pro.

I just wanted to share my experience and wish you the best! :(

6. BJB Productions, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Welcome to the club. I know exactly how you feel. This makes me think of a certain thread a long time ago.... Enjoy reading up on people laughing at my gullibility.

7. sparkesy thread starter macrumors newbie

Pics to follow shortly. I'm more frustrated at myself more than anything and what's worse is that the iPhone case I was using at the time was a Perspex clear back and sided one rather than a bumper (which I think would have absorbed most of the impact and possibly left no mark at all.

8. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Apple really needs to start using a new material. a gentle breeze will dent aluminum it seems.

9. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I have a dent in the cover of my unibody MB.

I had it in a messenger bag without a case and I set it down too hard on the floor of a Parisian Metro station. Do I care? Not really, because it tells a story. I also have a ton of scratches all of the bottom from sliding it under the bed after I use it in bed.

I bought it to use it and I quite happy with the durability (it travels all the time.) I'm actually glad Apple uses Aluminum as it flies and travels better than the standard high-density molded plastic junk.

Dents, pfffffffff, those are character. I'll put a few stickers on it, once I see some nice science based ones :)

10. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I have a dent in the bottom panel of mine when my damn cat surfed it off the couch. Thank goodness a new bottom panel was only 100 bucks from Apple. I have not put it on yet...figure I will wait till I go to sell for refresh. You may get lucky and take it in to Apple store and see what they say. Be really polite and nice and you may get it fixed as a courtesy repair.

11. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Haha

hahaha that made me smile lolz

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've always been afraid of this happening to me. Sorry to hear, OP!