MacBook Pro - Discrete GPU or iGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by testudoaubreii, Nov 3, 2014.

1. testudoaubreii macrumors member

Hello,

I am in the market for a new laptop. I am a web developer/designer, so I will be using Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, multiple browsers and browser tabs, often running at the same time. There may be some time where I would be editing very short web videos, but nothing major. I would also like to use it for Steam in-home streaming/light gaming and entertainment purposes, i.e. HD video files and music files (both streaming and locally).

Edit: I will also be using an external monitor at work. Not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.

Can I get away with the MacBook Pro that has 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB and Intel Iris Pro Graphics or should I go with the same model that has the 750m discrete GPU?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep thats fine

I would say for your use the base 15 inch rMBP would be absolutely fine.

3. Freyqq macrumors 601

If your laptop will be acting as the receiver for steam streaming, then the Iris Pro is plenty. All the other tasks you mentioned would be fine with the Iris Pro. If you were trying to run multiple external monitors, I might recommend the 750M for extra video ram, but one external monitor at 1080p shouldn't be a problem.