MacBook Pro display and Group8 repair in UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReggieUK, May 17, 2010.

1. ReggieUK macrumors newbie

I am stuck in a very disappointing situation with Apple and Group8 who repair for Apple in the UK.

I have a MacBook Pro 15" late 2008 bought in around February 2009.

It was perfect for about a year but developed a fault on the screen. I brought it into an Apple Store in Manchester who arranged for it to be replaced. It went to Group8 (http://www.group8.com/) who replaced the screen.

When it arrived back the screen and laptop lid were very poorly aligned. The lid would not close properly and when the lid did close there was a large gap between the it and body. The black hinge at the back of the laptop was no longer flush. Furthermore, the new screen was clearly inferior to the previous screen, the colours were poorly saturated and the overall level of brightness was much reduced.

The laptop went to Group8 again and they installed a new screen and realigned the lid. When it came back it seemed fixed on my first cursory inspection but after a couple of days it became obvious that the backlight was faulty. Irritatingly the lid was also still not perfectly aligned, the hinge at the back in particular is obviously not flush with the body.

When the laptop is turned on, either from sleep or cold start, the screen works perfectly. Shortly afterwards the backlight flickers. It does not turn on and off but the intensity of the light fluctuates between maximum and about 75% of maximum. This is evenly distributed across the screen. It lasts for a variable period of time but usually goes after around 20 minutes. It does not affect the quality of the picture and the screen is perfectly readable when it is happening but it is distracting. It is easier to see when there is a solid colour as the desktop image.

I sent the laptop back and Group8 kept it for about a week and claim that they could not see the flickering. To me and anyone else who has seen the laptop it is very obvious and distracting. I am reluctant to send the laptop back to Group8 again, not least because I do not believe that they have any effective means of assessing the laptop but more importantly I believe that my experience demonstrates that they are incapable of assessing any repairs they make for quality.

I would be grateful for any thoughts you may have on how to proceed.

Many thanks

R

2. martynjd macrumors member

which apple store in manchester? whenever i've needed repairs they have done it in-store at the Arndale, even replacing the display

3. ReggieUK thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the Arndale

But I don't live in Manchester and it would be two long trips to get there and pick it up.