MacBook Pro Display "Blink" - Any fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Auzburner, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Also described here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1000036&highlight=blink+screen

For a millisecond, my 17" i7 MacBook Pro blinks a black screen onto the display. It's quite noticeable, especially when you're looking away from the screen because you notice a sudden flicker in the light given off by the display. I believe it is the backlighting turning off, as if you were to turn the brightness all the way down. Of course, I've considered Apple, but there is nothing else wrong with the machine and I worry any work they perform will end with me having other issues. It's infrequent and only occurs when on battery that I've noticed.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Auzburner

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

:( You may want to stop by Apple even though you said you didn't want to. Frankly, I'd rather they have it a try at it then just dealing with the issue. If it comes out worse, I'd just keep taking it back; I mean you paid over $2k for the machine it better make you happy!!

3. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Over $3k :p - Yes, I may soon. :(

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It sounds to me like an ambient light sensor issue, as it only happens on battery power. Go into System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Battery -> Display Sleep -> Uncheck the box for "Automatically Reduce Brightness Before Display Goes to Sleep."

5. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

:eek: Best of luck. I hope you and/or they figure it out.

6. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I will try this, but I don't believe this is the problem. The machines is nowhere near sleep time intervals set and the blink has no pattern whatsoever. I could be typing something or have the machine sitting idle as I read a large document on the display. The most difficult component of this problem is the lacking in consistency. :-/

7. nunes013, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i have this same problem. i took it to the genius bar. they thought it was the logic board so they replaced it. its not because it still happens. i cant figure it out either but i hope this gives some insight.

EDIT: i have a 15" 2.66 ghz C2D early 2009 mbp for reference. glad to see im not the only one with the problem

8. Suanmiao macrumors member

the same thing happen to my 15" a few times too, usually when I plug/unplug it
    I'm not too worried, bring it in for a check if it happens a lot, could be a loose cable..

9. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Were you able to replicate the issue for them? Because this happens too intermittently for me to be able to reliably say that I could show them the problem. That's why I haven't bothered to bring it in quite yet...

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

no, i brought it in and told them. i told them i thought it was either the logic board or LCD. they thought the same so they ran the diagnostic software and couldnt find anything but they said if they send it to their repair center they run more extensive tests. so they overnighted it, took 2 days and they overnighted it back. on the genius form it said "could not replicate at genius bar due to time constraint." i have Apple Care, i dont know if you do or not because the new logic board was $350 but waived because of the plan. but since that didnt fix it if you bring it in just tell them you know someone who had the same problem and a new logic board didnt fix it.

because the gpu and cpu are both on the logic board the only other two things that i can think it might be is the LCD or a faulty wire to the proximity sensor. when Apple sent out a graphics update over the summer i had the problem big time but after that firmware it went away but as of two months ago i have it again but not as bad. happens once or twice a day so maybe it could be a firmware thing?