Macbook Pro Display Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CombatRock, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CombatRock macrumors newbie

I did a quick search of the forums and didn't find any relatively recent threads on this issue.

My Macbook Pro just turned 4 at the beginning of the month, its the 15" with a 2 Ghz processor. I can provide other information about it as requested.

The problem I have been having is an interesting one, my screen will freeze up often while watching a video but in recent weeks sometimes it freezes randomly. Now the screen does not lock up entirely: the clock in the corner stops ticking (I display the seconds), I cannot scroll or close out of windows, I cannot select anything from the dock, but my mouse still moves about and changes from the arrow to the pinwheel on and off. I've let it sit in this state for a little while and it does not change and I've attempted putting it to sleep in this state but it never goes to sleep when it's like this.

I thought the issue might be from overheating because my MBP has been running much hotter than usual but now it seems to lock up even when it's running at cooler temperatures.

I no longer have Apple Care because I never had a problem so I never renewed it. A friend suggested that because of other small problems (ie: random lines appearing across the desktop and windows) that perhaps my graphics card is going.

I was considering buying a new MBP 13" but not if this is a fixable issue (or worth fixing).

Thanks!

2. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

A bump with some added information. I am a musician and record music from time to time with my MBP and it has had the display frozen on a number of occasions while doing this. This is only using a direct line into the Mac using the Line-In Audio port.

Edit - I have also used up 1 Battery and my current battery (2nd one) is in real rough shape...

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

what graphics/video card is installed?

Check system profiler.

About This Mac > More Info > Graphics/Displays

Sounds like a graphics card issue, if its the nvidia 8600, apple has a repair program from that graphics card.

4. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

5. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Just going to Bump this one last time. Anyone have any ideas or theories, even heard of such an issue?

6. Loptimist macrumors member

logic board is dying. I advise you to backup the system and either replace your logic board at your expense (x1600 model is OLD) or get a new laptop.

I take back what I just said. Are you saying that your system does not completely lock up, but really slow?

7. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't know if you would call it a system lock up because it is just the display, ie: I will be watching a movie on Youtube and everything freezes on the screen except for the mouse. I can click on nothing and nothing on the screen works except for the movement of the mouse. The video I'm watching will (with the rest of the screen) freeze but the audio will continue to play.

8. Loptimist macrumors member

sounds like a logic board (gpu) failure.

apple does check up your system for free even if your warranty is expired. take it to a local genius bar.

9. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Are you on 10.6.4? There is a known software issue exactly like this in that version.

11. CombatRock thread starter macrumors newbie

In checking what version I'm running (yes it is 10.6.4) I noticed I had a software update for the Graphics Card. I ran the update and my Mac restarted only to have the display freeze almost immediately. I restarted a second time and once again the display froze. Third time restarting and my Mac is running.