Macbook Pro display goes blank after some time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bhavin Vasavada, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Bhavin Vasavada macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro Mountain Lion 10.8.2. A couple of days ago, when I was working on it, the display suddenly started flickering, and, after about two minutes of constant flickering, went completely blank. The rest of the system seemed to be working fine (i.e., music, volume control, power off, etc.) but without the display.

I took it to the apple service centre, and after about half an hour of tinkering around, the guy there told me that the display "probably" would have to be replaced.

I'm currently typing this on the same Macbook, and it seems to be working fine right now, but it generally reverts to its blank state after a while.

Seeing that replacing the display is a relatively big decision for me (the mac's out of warranty), is there something that I can do or check as a last resort before deciding?

Thanks

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, I guess the question relative to cost of repair is whether there is something loose vs. a faltering display, the latter obviously being much more costly. Not sure if you obtained an 'estimate' but appears that the machine would have to be taken apart to checkout the problem(s). Not sure if you are a DIY person, but check iFixit HERE, select your laptop, and then the display replacement manual - price & steps (i.e. easy to difficult) will be available which might help you make a decision. Good luck! :)