macbook pro display issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvmoore1, Nov 10, 2007.

1. jvmoore1 macrumors newbie

Seems like my brother is having an issue with his display. Not really sure if it is a wire or something else.
    Here is a couple of screenshots of the issue. It only appears when you play a video or any kind of media. Just alot of red blocks. I have tried moving the screen seeing if it might be a cable issue.
    Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Generally it wouldn't show up in a screenshot if it were a cable issue. Create a new user account and see if it happens there too. Also try booting into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT at startup and see if it still occurs there too. :)

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

as MJ suggested, it's likely not a hardware issue if it appears in the screenshot. Perhaps an issue redrawing the picture.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm thinking it's either a driver issue or a software conflict, most likely.

5. jvmoore1 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i have created a new user account and got the same problem.

booted into safe mode, video worked great...dl iphone guide and got no blocks even in fullscreen mode.

is there a simple way to test the vid driver or find the software conflict?
    he reinstalled the OS so I find it hard to believe it is that,but want to test it anyway

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait, are you saying the new user is bad but Safe Mode is absolutely fine?

7. jvmoore1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeap....new user rendered the same result as my original login, but booting in safe mode worked fine

8. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

have you added any 3rd party codecs (XVID, DIVX, ect...) to ~/library/quicktime folder?

edit: and when you say installed, did you mean erase and install. I'm wondering if it's a codec issue with an upgrade install.

9. jvmoore1 thread starter macrumors newbie

there is only 1 codec "appleintermediatecodec.component".....deleted codec and still having issues

10. Hockeypuck macrumors regular

I've replaced Logic boards for this type of problem..

I'm thinking safe-mode may be disabling some video acceleration that's causing the artifacting.

11. iJordo macrumors member

In regards to that..... I concur that he is right.... I had the SAME EXACT problem with my 15' MBP last year..... i recognize the screenshots as exactly my problem.... I took my MBP to the apple store, and by the grace of apple care they REPLACED the Logic Board, and the issue was solved...Good luck....

12. jvmoore1 thread starter macrumors newbie

well 2 things the closest AS is 3 hrs away and the applecare has expired

hmmm lovely

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From Apple's support pages, the following is done in Safe Mode:

• It forces a directory check of the startup volume.
    • It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).
    • In Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier, it runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the items in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems - and different than login items).
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts .
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501.
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all startup items and any Login Items.

Hopefully this might help narrow down your list of potential problem files.

14. jvmoore1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what would be the best way to determin if this is a software issue or a logic board issue? looking at ifixit a new logic board is around 900.00 so i dont want to really go out and get one when it was a software glitch the whole time. any scanning software i could use (preferably freeware)?

15. iJordo macrumors member

alright, I am sorry, can you still buy applecare or pro care....because it is DEFINATELY a logic board problem.... The apple store was clear and I recognize those diagonal lines instantly...But I am pretty sure.... you might wanna get a guide to take your logic board out and put it back in....it might be a bad cable connection that is going to the display....

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you look at what Safe Mode entails and then take into account Safe Mode is behaving normally then it seems unlikely to be a logic board fault and more likely a software based problem. In particular, the problem almost certainly lies within one of the directories listed earlier that Safe Mode disables at startup.

Nevertheless, maybe run the Apple Hardware Test that came with your machine to see if it picks up any hardware issues. Remember that the tests aren't perfect. There's a chance something may be wrong with the hardware and the tests may not be able to find it. However if they come back with errors on a particular component then it's usually a pretty good sign that something is wrong with that component.

I'm not ruling out the fact it may be a hardware problem, but there's no point in replacing it if it's not broken. I hope that all makes sense. I guess you'll need to run in Safe Mode for a while longer if the Apple Hardware Test doesn't come up with anything. Any similar problems whilst in Safe Mode should be noted.