Macbook Pro + display OR iMac + netbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i0Nic, Aug 25, 2008.

?

Which upgrade path?

1. Macbook Pro + External Display FTW, best of both worlds and simpler

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. iMac + netbook FTW, two computers are better than one

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other option, please specify.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Sup guys,

been thinking about this issue as the time looms closer for my next upgrade from my macbook and 20" cinema display.

The options above are roughly around the same price.

I use my laptop at my desk 80% of the time, with it only seeing light use outside my desk while watching TV, at a friends house or occassionally out and about. I ofcourse also use my macbook at university for notes, but I finish up my degree in a couple months and probably won't need a laptop for work purposes.

I guess it seems logical to get an iMac and a netbook for light browsing, but I do like to watch my podcasts and work from room to room on the same documents. I can foresee it getting a bit cluttered with two computers, hence why I am again leaning towards the MBP option. BUT... carrying around an expensive laptop with all my important documents (yes they are backed up) doesn't seem like a great idea, although I haven't had an issue with my current macbook.

So what say you? Which direction do you think I should go, macbook pro + external display or an iMac and netbook such as Acer Aspire One or the new Dell Mini etc.

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Unless you need the power from the MacBook Pro you should get the iMac and a MacBook.

3. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe, but then if I'm working on a document on my iMac then want to work downstairs I have to transfer it, then open it back up on the laptop etc. With the macbook pro If just have to close the lid, unplug it and go wherever I want.

I guess it depends on personal preference.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I once thought that I wouldn't like just to have a desktop. I've always been a laptop owner.

In first year uni however, where having a laptop is probably best advised, I took my G5 tower. I was so happy. There was always someone's computer I could borrow for presentations (VGA -> Uni projector), so this was no problem.

I don't regret it, but I do regret making the decision to sell my G5 before leaving for Germany 16 months ago. I miss having a good desktop around, my productivity goes up so much.

So. Like you I now have a MacBook and a 24" LCD (see sig.). It's ok I suppose, but she overheats easily and it struggles with Aperture. If I had the money, I would buy a new desktop (24" iMac/MacPro) and then continue using this MacBook for "Away from desk emergencies".

Usually the money you'd spend to get the MacBook Pro you want, you can keep your MacBook and get the iMac you want. 2 computers, rather than one! I would therefore do this!

5. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

This is a little bit of topic but do you know Google Docs? It basically is a text editor online from Google that saves the documents on your Gmail account, I use it all the time because I never have to worry that I forgot to transfer something. It is not something like a high-end text editor like Pages or Word but it does the job quite good, check it out if you want

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I say get an imac and a macbook or an air, unless you really need portable power of the macbook pro.

The way I think of it, your paying for a premium for the pro to have the ability to do your power computing on the go. For me I like do my real work at home in my own room at my own desk. Usually when I'm on the go I'm just surfing the internet and stuff.

7. Jak3 macrumors regular

I say MBP with display...to me, it just seems more logical than having two computers...

as you said transferring stuff, even if you have a simple method, you still have to do it...with a MBP, whatever, it's always with you...

8. duncanapple macrumors 6502

my 2 cents

This is just my opinion - having my files split up among two different places would drive me insane, but I am sort of a minimalist too. If the macbook pro has the horsepower you need (and maybe then some) I would say stick with just that. Plus you have two computers cluttering up your desk when your home, 2 places to have to install software, 2 places to maintain updates, etc. To me, the laptops are so powerful these days, if you need portability, there is no reason to have both a desktop and laptop. Especially when you are talking about having a decent external display to go with when at home. Not to mention a much better screen when on the go (15.4 vs I assume something sub 13).

As for worrying about an expensive mbp getting damaged/stolen on the go... would it matter if it was a regular MP, your ipod, some other netbook, etc? My guess is if your the type of person who surfs macrumors and other "enthusist sites" such as this, your probably fanantical enough that you would not let any of them out of your sight anyway :) (I say this as a fellow fanatic, not in a mocking tone)

I had an ibook G4 (first mac) through college, then I switched to an iMac. The bigger screen was nice, but I missed being able to move it around, even if it was just to the couch. I will prob never own a desktop again (though, the 24 inch imac is tempting!) - I now have a macbook. The only time even that screen bothers me is dreamweaver - those tool bars eat up your screen FAST. Nothing an external display wouldn't fix.

Either way good luck. Sounds like you wont go wrong either way.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It seems to me to be the old power versus portability argument again. I'm a recent switcher, and I'm very happy with my MBP. This is a computer which combines power, performance, a superb screen, and an attractive appearance. Plus, you have portability.

For the past decade, I have used only laptops as my main computer. The time lag which used to exist between desk top and laptop performance is far less marked than it used to be. Good luck and cheers.