Macbook Pro display problem - color blocks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disdat, Jun 27, 2008.

1. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

I tried searching in google and on this forum, but I don't really know how to word the problem I am having.

This has happened four times in the last week, 3 times today.

While working in iPhoto and Lightzone (not Lightroom), my LCD all of a sudden displays bunches of little tiny blocks of color that eventually take over the whole screen. The screen freezes, and I have to shut down by holding down the off button.

I just got my MBP home last night from Applecare geniuses and they replaced my hard drive. I was having other issues, and took it in for repair. I suspected a failing hard drive, but they said they were going to run the thorough diagnostic tests.

I even mentioned the colored block problem to the Genius, but I really wasn't sure if it was an isolated issue. I didn't make much out of it, because my main problems were speed and spinning beach balls.

Does anyone know if this a graphics card problem or an LCD problem? And wouldn't it have shown up on the tests they ran?? I am concerned because I would hope they DID do the tests, and not just replace the hard drive.

I should mention that I am not running the MBP w/ 4gb of ram (as my signature states) - I am running on the original 2gb of ram for now. Could it be ram?

I just figured I would post here first to get some information before I take it back in. sigh.

thanks in advance!

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing others will say it's a Gfx card issue. Get that thing repaced.

3. disdat thread starter macrumors regular

disdat

Thanks!!!

I am going to try to make an appointment this week, I am just surprised that it didn't show up on the tests they supposedly took!
    :(

4. gr8bob macrumors regular

I have the same machine as yours and is having similar problems from graphic glitches to system freezes. Did a logic board swap and it's still the same.. Except that the tech left me with a failed fan and a scratched lcd lid. Got fed up with the tech and in the end brought it into another store for diagnosis. Totally unpleasant experience. Just make sure you tested your machine properly after you got it back.

5. disdat thread starter macrumors regular

disdat

I haven't been able to replicate the situation again. :(

I have an appointment w/ the genius today, but I am going to cancel for now. I will give it a bit more time, and see if it was an isolated incident.

I have to leave for vacation on Saturday for a week, and I will make a new appointment when we get back.

Thanks everyone for your help!