Macbook pro display stays black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amauryaa, Feb 19, 2012.

1. amauryaa macrumors newbie

HI,

I have turned on my macbook pro (2009, 15 inch) this morning at after I got to the rEFIt boot menu and selected OS 10 (snow leopard), my screen turned black. I waited and then turned the computer off by pressing the power button for a few seconds.
    I then tried several times to turn the macbook pro on but the screen stayed black. I can hear the starting sound and after a few seconds (when rEFIt select OS X by default), the keyboard lit but no screen.
    I have tried to reset the PRAM, SMC but no luck.
    I also tried to boot on safe mode (by pressing the shift key) but still no luck.
    The only thing that had an effect is that after turning on the power button and pressing the shift key, I pressed the right arrow of the keyboard to select windows and enter. after 20 seconds or so (still holding the shift key), the screen lit and I could see my windows 7 login page. the font were huge and the screen color was pinkish and I could go onto windows.
    I didn't know what to do from there. It looked like I was in some kind of safe mode.
    After turning off my computer I turned it on again but the screen is black again. I tried again with windows and it lit as it did before.
    of course I am away from home and I have not the Mac Os dvd with me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Sounds like the dreaded NVidia death. Will it drive an external monitor or is the behavior the same??

3. amauryaa thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have a external monitor. I have an appointment with a genius bar so I see what they will say.

Thanks