MacBook Pro display whacked - Help External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteveSNH, Feb 15, 2011.

1. SteveSNH macrumors newbie

I have hooked up an external monitor but all I can see is the cursor when I move it to the far right. I cannot see anything on the Mac. How do I boot up to the external monitor?

appreciate your help

thanks

Steve

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

There should be a key e.g. F7 with a rectangle over another rectangle. Try pressing this button and see if it helps. This should change your display configuration to a mirror configuration.

3. SteveSNH thread starter macrumors newbie

mdgm,

thanks I get the background star pattern but no apps

thanks again

Steve

4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

It can take a few presses for it to change to a mirrored configuration I think.

Also which key it is you need to press does vary depending on what model Mac you have, so do look for the symbol I mentioned (or something similar) and don't assume that the key is F7.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

what's wrong with your display exactly? It sounds like it's broken but it's still being detected. In that case you'll want to operate in clamshell mode. If you don't have a bluetooth/usb KB and Mouse, you can close the lid on the machine (with the display attatched), then "juice" (my term for "wake up") the machine by plugging in a USB device of some sort.

If that doesn't work you can also shut down the machine, then start it up and quickly close the display. Wait till the machine boots up then you can lift the display to access the KB as normal.

6. SteveSNH thread starter macrumors newbie

Eddy.

The screen was whacked and it looks shattered, but id is powered up and you can see some movement whn cursor is moved. I will try the closed mode

thanks

Steve

7. Browderlisk macrumors newbie

You should buy the monitor parts on ebay and fix up your macbook. It's really not that hard to do.