Macbook Pro Displayport

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ackerman651, May 2, 2011.

1. Ackerman651 macrumors newbie

I bought a cheap Minidisplayport to hdmi adapter and am connecting it to my Mitsubishi tv. It works but when I try to change from 30hz to 60hz the screen goes blank. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't buy it to watch movies.. help?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Does you TV support 60 Hz? Some TV's can't do 2:3 pull down at 60Hz when connected to an external source.

3. Ackerman651 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Don't know about the blank screen, but the supported resolutions from a computer is very very very very low.

Supported computer resolutions 1280 x 1024 (SXGA),
    1365 x 768,
    1280 x 720,
    1920 x 1080,
    1024 x 768 (XGA),
    640 x 480 (VGA),
    800 x 600 (SVGA)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it doesnt say what it's native refresh rate it but it is a rear projection so its probably not that high.

2:3 pulldown is basically a tv's way of taking 24fps movies and raising them to 30fps to match their refresh rate. only the top of the line pioneer's and panasonic's support 24fps natively so its not something even newer tv's are capable of doing.

6. Lenas macrumors newbie

DLP's operate with a color wheel spinning at 7200rpm which is equivalent to a 120Hz refresh rate. However, most modern sets have each color in two spots on the wheel and they're refreshed twice every rotation instead of once, effectively creating a refresh rate of 240Hz.

To the OP:
    What cable did you buy? I have a Mitsubishi DLP as well (60C9 model) and a Mini Displayport -> HDMI cable from Monoprice, but connecting the laptop to my DLP and also to my smaller LCD don't result in a display being detected... wondering if my cables are faulty (even though I got two, just in case!), or if it's user error somehow.

7. Ackerman651 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Female-Adapter-Macbook-Pro/dp/B002HU629E
    I checked it on a Samsung LCD and it worked just fine. I guess this means it's incompatible with the Mitsubishi, but it just doesn't make sense to me. What is it that makes this any different than if I connected any other HDMI source?

Lenas - when you plug it in does a separate window with the name of your tv pop up under system prefs? That originally gave me problems cuz the window popped up behind the normal display window.

8. Lenas macrumors newbie

Nope! Neither my MBP nor my TV's have any sort of reaction.

9. Ackerman651 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking it's just a compatibility issue with Mitsubishis. I'm just surprised yours is not recognized at all.. two things that might seem very obvious but they're all I can think of
    1. Did you make sure you enabled that input on your tv and change to it before connecting? (obvious I know but ya never know)
    2. Go to Preferences-Displays-Detect Displays

10. Lenas macrumors newbie

I'm thinking it's more an issue with the cables I bought. My DLP is a Mitsu but my LCD is a Magnavox and I find it surprising that they'd both have issues. I'm going to try another connector and see what happens.