MacBook Pro Displays / scaled retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bottleneck, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bottleneck macrumors member

What do you consider a a perfect screen for a MBP?

15.4" 1440 x 900 glossy
    15.4" 1680 x 1050 antiglare

or the new retina?

I haven't seen a retina so far. How does the graphic look, when you scale it down? Say if you don't want a supersharp 1440 x 900 but more space as 1680 x 1050 or 1920x1200.

thx

2. dbyway macrumors member

dbyway

Without a doubt the retina. This is my second day having it and I can't get off it. Playing Steam games at full resolution settings looks amazing.

3. Yuke macrumors member

Retina > 1680 Antiglare > 1440 Gloss

I run my rMBP at the 1920x1200 equivalent, and it's plenty sharp. Rendering at double-size and scaling down to 2880 seems to do a really nice job of getting rid of the scaling artifacts you usually see when running an LCD at non-native resolution.

If you're not going for the retina, the antiglare screen is (IMHO) a must. The regular glossy screens are just too reflective. PowerSupport sells a film that helps quite a bit, but it's no substitute for a real matte screen.

That having been said, I'm finding that the retina is *much* less annoyingly glossy than my old MBP. Eliminating the extra glass helped quite a bit. It's still reflective - just less so. Much less annoying. I'd still have liked to have a matte retina option, but I can certainly deal with this.

4. blow45 macrumors 68000

If you can quantify it in relation to the air, how MORE glossy is than the air? thanks. :)

5. Yuke macrumors member

In actual use, I notice the reflection about the same as I did on the Air. Definitely not significantly more, even at 1/2 brightness. If it does pick up more at all, it's just due to the larger screen, not increased reflectivity.

It'll vary based on what your environment looks like too. If you have a bright window behind you, you'll notice it more than you would in a darker room, or one with overhead lighting.

6. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

This new Retina is an amazing screen, I've never used the Hi-Res screen on the regular MBP but I'm using the Retina at that same resolution as the highest setting seems a bit small to my eyes. I also tried out the SetResX to see the native and that is just insane and unusable for normal work.

I was getting so confused as I was experimenting with LR4 and Aperture 3.3. Zooming to 100% the LR4 image was more zoomed in compared to Aperture. Then realized Aperture is using the Native resolution to display the image and the scaled one to show the menus. My 5D3 files at 100% shows 1/4 of the image on the screen so only 4 different areas to scroll around to see all the image! Really cool. LR4 is still the old way and the image is scaled so appears more zoomed in. Hopefully LR gets and update along with the planned CS6 one.

It is still early days, but hopefully within a few months we will have most programs working to support Retina like Aperture does now.

7. blow45 macrumors 68000

thanks buddy, your feedback is much appreciated.:)