Macbook Pro... do I need the better graphics card??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Surfing@Blacks, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

I am getting into film editing on a small scale. I recently got a t2i and will be recording a lot of surf footage and down the road will be doing pictorial videos for a few clothing companies. So I was wondering would I really see a difference between the 13inch models compare to the 2 15" models? I plan on putting a SSD drive into which ever unit I decide on.

I am asking the community based on the fact that I don't want to spend 2,200 on the high end 15" model, when I would be getting similar results on the low end 13" model.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What software will you be using? 13" MBP does the job but if you are using something else than iMovie, then getting the low-end 15" should be worth it.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

does video editing software even use the GPU, beyond the limited applications for CUDA?

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I think you would benefit from a 15 inch a lot. Just because of the quad core processor, video editing uses can use a lot of power :) I might be mistaken but i thought that that video editing programs like Premiere use OpenGL?? if yes hen you would benefit from the discrete GPU in the 15 inch aswell

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Motion just eats up your GPU. If you're doing heavy video editing, or even remotely serious, 15" is worth it.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

7. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the comments..... I will be using Final Cut Express mostly. Might venture to the Pro is I find it beneficial to me over time.

8. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

The pro is your best choice. Just ordered my fully loaded 15" today!!!! :cool: