MacBook Pro Docking/Monitor Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ecdc, Oct 20, 2015.

1. ecdc macrumors member

Hi all,

I've got the 1st gen MacBook Pro w/ Retina 15" from 2012. I'm looking at options to dock it to use with a much larger monitor and a wireless keyboard and trackpad. What I'm mostly interested in is 1) The best large screen monitor (27" or larger) and 2) the best way to dock.

I don't need it for gaming or anything else particularly fancy. I primarily need the monitor for work--word processing, opening PDFs to transcribe to Word, having two-three programs open to work on, etc.

Is the Apple Thunderbolt Display my best option or is there something cheaper? I'd like a fairly decent resolution monitor (I read hi-res scans of old diaries and letters for work) but 4K just isn't necessary.

Thanks!

2. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

what's your budget? once we know, others can weigh in and recommend a low/high-end monitor to fit your needs. Dell seems to be a popular brand of monitors these days and there are daily sales on many other brands of widescreen monitors so it's all based on your budget.

docks...

Twelve South

TwelveSouth-BookArc-Mod-2.jpg

or Henge Dock

125259.jpg

3. bydandie macrumors member

I looked at the same thing recently (albeit for my 2015 13" rMBP) and came to the conclusion that the Dell Ultrasharps are awesome (I got the U2414H, 23.8") with a minidisplayport out the box with a USB 3 hub in rear. I also bought the 12 South Aluminium dock as I didn't like the potential for breaking things on the Henge dock (irrational as that may seem). Therefore I'd heartily recommend the 27" Dell Ultrasharp with whatever you choose for a dock.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I would go for an IPS panel with 1440p or 1600p resolution from a reputable supplier and a thunderbolt dock.

Maybe something like these
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...560x1600,aps,271&rh=i:aps,k:monitor+2560x1600

and these

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=thunderbolt+dock&rh=i:aps,k:thunderbolt+dock

5. ecdc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, all! Very helpful. I'll check out these options.