Macbook pro docking stations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinitry23, Jun 12, 2012.

1. sinitry23 macrumors member

Hi,

I am interested in the new Macbook pro 15 inch with the USB 3 ports. Does anyone know if there is a docking stations that has USB 3 ports and thunderbolt for a macbook pro?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Considering that these docks are made specifically for MBP and that the USB 3.0 was just announced yesterday...you will not find any. Give it a month or two

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

The Henge docks were pretty good for previous models, but I don't think they'll work for the new ones, because the new ones have ports on both sides -- so there's no way for a dock to just connect to one side.

I assume Apple is trying to kill the docking notion. Closest they have is the Thunderbolt display, which gives you firewire, ethernet, USB, power -- the monitor supplies a magsafe connector -- all in one. Down side, it also gives you splitting headaches unless you're using it in a completely dark environment. :p

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

5. sinitry23 thread starter macrumors member

How does the apple displays give you a headache ?

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think he was referring to the glossy/reflective nature of the glass screen. Some people dislike it, others don't mind.

7. therealseebs, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Glossy. Glossy displays produce eyestrain (measurable in almost everyone, even though some people don't notice it), and often people unconsciously adopt bad posture to minimize glare, resulting in mysterious cramps and such.

If the 27" thunderbolt display were not glossy, I'd have one.

EDIT: Posts elsewhere claim that you can remove the glass from the thunderbolt display, leaving you with a plain LCD. Some people say it's glossy, others say it's matte. I have no idea. Maybe they use whichever's cheapest at the time.

8. Karlybarlyy macrumors newbie

Check out kwikdock, it's a brand new docking station for the MacBook Pro that is easy to use and save a lot of time.
    www.kwikdock.com

9. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Actually if you think about it, all the necessary ports are available on one side, you have Thunderbolt (to HDMI and Ethernet) for screen and Lan, audio, usb3 (to a simple extender for additional ports) and Magsafe.

You can also still connect additional devices on the right side if you wish.

I actually enquired about Henge docks for the new retinas and this was their reply:

I should also note that I ordered the Bookarc for use in the meantime...