Macbook Pro dodgy DVD driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Poogis, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Poogis macrumors member

Hello.

I'm after a bit of advice on whether I should send my MacBook Pro, bought in November 2007, back to Apple so they can remove this god-forsaken not-so-Superdrive and put in a proper one.

I've read that a lot of Pro owners have problems similar to the ones I have where most media just won't read and is spat back out.

The problem I have is that I replaced the stock 120gb HDD with a WD 320gb version.

What I am asking is, would Apple refuse to repair/replace the superdrive even if I am entitled to it, declaring a void warranty? Or will they accept it as functioning (which it is) and just carry out the work as needed?

I know this is a bit of a grey area when it comes to the Macbook Pro and the HD replacement.

Thanks in advance.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It's a known issue that is covered. Happened on the PB line too. Just tell them it won't read or write most CDs or DVDs and just ejects the disk. Eventually it won't accept any media. Get it fixed before your warranty runs out. In the states they just send the box, fix it and send it back.

Cheers,

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple should have a problem unless they trace the problem to the item you installed. Then again I got Apple to replace my Logic Board when a memory module I bought fried it.

TEG

4. Poogis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

So basically I should just get it back to them, even without the hassle of me reinstalling the original hard drive? And yes it was spitting out discs before I installed the bigger hard drive so they shouldn't locate any problems other than the superdrive.

It's just that I'm about to splash out on Applecare and would be unhappy if they voided my remaining warranty just because I installed a fully functioning HDD.

Oh, to hell with it - it's going back. They supply this crap then they can give us what we paid for, right?

Thanks.