Macbook Pro Does Not Respond to CD Insertion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alblurt06, Jan 10, 2011.

1. alblurt06 macrumors newbie

The thread title pretty much explains it. Basically, I stick in a CD and it just stays there. Usually the computer does the rest, takes it in, you hear a whirring sound and stuff happens. I did it recently and nothing goes on - I have to take the CD out by essentially taking it by the edge that still sticks out.

I then went into the Apple Icon > About This Mac > More Info... > Disc Burning and found that no burning device indicated to be in existence. Clearly I SHOULD be able to have something there, right?

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do? Any drivers to download? Or should I just do a complete reboot of the system and go from there?

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Sounds like your DVD drive is either disconnected internally or just plain broken.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

In my experience with my previous machines, this is an indication that the cd drive is failed. Usually its not something simple like a cable disconnected if the drive is taking media in.

Based on your signature, looking at your computer model it should be under warranty still so I'd go to your closest apple store soon :)

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Agentphish, It doesn't take the media in. It does nothing.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I suggest that you take the time to re-read the OP's original statement before making a post that tells me I am wrong.

OP Said:"Basically, I stick in a CD and it just stays there. Usually the computer does the rest, takes it in, you hear a whirring sound and stuff happens."

That indicates to me that it's certainly taking it in.

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Sorry. I didn't say you were wrong but you need to finish reading his post. He says now it does nothing.