MacBook Pro does not wake up from sleep, Apple reseller will not fix!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by celesfar, Jan 30, 2012.

1. celesfar macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a completely outrageous issue here that I'm unable to put my finger on. I tried the SMC reset, PRAM, power management, reinstalling the OS - all the usual things. Nada.

Problem as following. I put the computer to sleep under normal conditions after use when I'm done working on it the night before. I have my external display plugged in, a keyboard/mouse and occasionally my time machine disk. Here's a handy video I recorded to show what's wrong.

By the morning it does not wake up, usually ending up recently with a triple-flashing sleeplight.

When I went to my reseller here in Israel (iDigital) with the machine they ran a diagnostic, deemed it healthy and did exactly zilch. Nada. Twice. Not only that, now they've threatened to charge me for the next time even though it's under warranty until September 2013! That's the end of next year.

As a sidenote, their service is horrible overall and I recommend you avoid it if you can...

What steps should I take next to try to pinpoint the problem and maybe force their hand into repairing it?

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Try disconnecting all the peripherals and use the MBPs keyboard and mouse to wake up the Mac.
    Three flashes usually means it's the RAM. Maybe they were dislodged somehow?
    It could also be Time Machine that's creating the sleep issue.
    Solution to MacBook Pro that won’t wake from sleep

3. celesfar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Elbert.

Might as well give it a go when I'm back home, seeing as not much else works. I find this strange however as I recall having tried this without the time machine disk or any USB devices present and still producing this issue.

Note that it looks like it's sound asleep until I wake it up... And secondly - the machine has been more than able to handle this before - why not now?

4. celesfar thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I'm trying to disable Time Machine. Today just as I came home, disconnected the USB, display and magsafe, and turned the machine on - it booted normally for a while until crashing when it came to the desktop - as in, scrambled video. I shot a clip of that as well and might upload that as well for what it's worth.

5. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

Wild guess... - Do you have any schedules setup so that the computer sleeps or wakes up at a certain time?

System Preferences/Hardware/Energy Saver/ Schedules. Check it and see...it's a wild guess...but you never know.

6. celesfar thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a sleep timer at 2 am so that it goes to sleep if I fall asleep watching movies on it. No on-timer however.

Edit: What does it have to do with it?

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you test waking it from a normal sleep like after the amount of minutes your pick in your settings, or when you click the apple logo and than click sleep does it wake from that kind of sleep?

it would help narrow down if its all types of sleeping or not

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Maybe nothing, maybe everything. Sometimes, timers can be stuck and then they try to execute upon the first time the system becomes active again, so you could be fighting a persistent timer event??

Try creating a new account and see if the sleep issues persist. Could be something related to your profile/account. If it works correctly on the other account then it is software within your account creating the issue and not hardware related.

Trouble shooting an issue is a finesse job and sometimes you need to try things no matter how odd or outlandish they may seem. As sometimes that strange test/ check may be the one thing that solves the issue, or it may reveal something else that points directly to what is causing the issue.

9. celesfar thread starter macrumors newbie

I disabled the automatic sleep and sleep schedule. Let's see where it leads me. Either way, I'm going to note my skepticism once more - I really get a strong sense that this is a hardware issue.

I'm contacting the premium reseller again now to see if they have anything to say.

10. Elbert C macrumors 6502

11. celesfar thread starter macrumors newbie

When gave it back to them they supposedly ran this diagnostic and it showed no results.