macbook pro doesn't go to sleep by itself

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jiffry1017, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jiffry1017 macrumors member

Hey

I have a Mid-2009 13.3 inch Macbook Pro. I added a Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200rpm 500gb hdd as well as 8GB of ram.

The problem I have been having is that my macbook won't go to sleep by itself if I let it idle. The only things I have running are Dropbox, SMCFancontrol, and Blackberry Wifi Music Sync. I turned off the screensaver too.

I tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC, but it didn't work. My sleepimage is 8.0gb. I'm wondering if the inability to go to sleep by itself could be due to the sleepimage? The macbook will go to sleep if I close the lid though, just not if I let it idle like in the energy saver settings.

Thanks.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Are your Energy Saver settings set to allow it to sleep on idle? Remember, there are different settings for Batter and AC power sources.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Remember to set the AC and battery energy saving settings ;)

4. jiffry1017 thread starter macrumors member

There is no setting for sleep on idle.

I have

Put hard disks to sleep when possible
    slightly dim the display when using this power source
    automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep

checked for battery and computer sleep/display sleep set to 1 min

I have

Put hard disks to sleep when possible
    automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep

checked for power adapter and computer/display sleep set to 1 min.

Neither works.

5. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Are the Computer and Display sleep sliders set to never in the Energy Saver pane?

Which OS X is installed?

Try deselecting Put the hard disk to sleep when possible option.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That will improve performance, but won't change the problem the OP is having. However, as you said, it's the sliders the OP has to look at, not the check boxes. If they're set to never, then it won't happen.

7. Mr Enrique macrumors newbie

MBP + WD HD = sleep problem

Same problem here. I think is the HD. I just upgraded my gf macbook pro mid 2010. She gave me her original hd for my late 2007 macbook. Little old but still works. And I replaced hers for a WD Black Scorpio 320 model wd3200bekt.

The hd drive it's fast. Not that much but a little faster. I made a two partiton one 70 gigs for all the programs and another 250 for all the documents such as downloads, documents.... bla bla bla.

It goes to sleep but the problem is that before i change the hard disk it used to go to sleep in about 2 to 3 sec. NOw you need to wait for a minute. A Real heartbreak when your in a rush.

I reseted the vram, i updated the system,i repaired the persmision, i prey, i cry and nothing has worked.

I's faster if i shut down and turn it on, go and grab some cookies and a coffe than puting this to sleep.

Any helo will be awesome.

8. GrandMA Hippo macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro doesn't go to sleep by itself

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro 2,2 (Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, running 10.6.6) which I purchased new in January 2007. It will sleep when closed, but not when inactive. The Energy Saver preferences are all set appropriately. This concerns me because it is not unusual for me to walk away from my laptop without shutting it down, and not come back until the following day.

The computer used to sleep normally when inactive, without issue. I recently had the main logic board replaced due to failure. I can't say for sure that the sleep failure coincided with the board replacement as I've just recently noticed the problem and the replacement was three months ago.

I installed a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 last year, well before the logic board failure and the sleep failure. Some of the previous posts in this thread have mentioned multiple partitions on the drive. I have three. I can't imagine why this would be an issue.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, I've always had poor luck with my laptop going to sleep automatically. I can if I shut the lid, but they never did when selecting it within the preferences.