Macbook Pro doesn't go to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hkriffraff, Sep 30, 2007.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

I've set my energy saver preferences to put the display to sleep after 10 mins and the computer to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. The display sleeps but the computer always stays on, whether on battery or A/C. What's the problem here?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any apps running? Do you have anything connected to the machine either via cable or Bluetooth? :)

3. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

Well yes... I always have some apps running - Mail, Firefox, Skype, etc. No hardware connected to the computer.

Never had this issue when I was using a Powerbook.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well turn off the apps one-by-one to see if one of them is keeping your MacBook Pro up.

5. yudilks macrumors regular

Was your iTunes playing music?

If yes, your MBP will not sleep until it drains its battery dry...

6. benulous macrumors newbie

Hmm...i noticed the same thing with my new 2.2MBP...Will play with the settings further later today..

7. a1dipship macrumors regular

warm cup of milk and/or cheese always helps i find :D

8. bgbgl macrumors newbie

Sleep mode does not work immediately or consistently on macbook pro

Hello. My brand new Mac Book Pro (10.5.5) will not go immediately to sleep until a minute or so or sometimes I have to return and try again to get it into sleep mode as it is still alive and well. It also takes a few seconds for the sleep indicator light to start pulsing after the screen goes black.
    My old powerbook G3 would sometimes get reactivated when you bumped it but it would always go to sleep immediately as well as my Mac at work.
    I have checked all the obvious steps (energy saver), no bluetooth devices, etc.) and I do not have any applications running. USB cables seem not to be the issue. The harddrive test came out clean. I plan to call Apple during the work week as I am thinking a software problem. Any other suggestions? Is it normal for this minute delay on this particular computer before it does go to sleep?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My only explaining to the delay between sleep and the indicator would be your computer writing the RAM to the HDD; are you low on disk space?

10. JediMeister macrumors 68040

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

I have the same sleep issue. I think it's related to my HP printer drives, but can't be bothered to try and fix it.

12. bgbgl macrumors newbie

macbook pro doesn't go to sleep

Ok.. I think the disk space is available and shows a great deal of GB remaining. I have kept the link to apple support on resetting the system. Thank you. That said I think my next step will be to have your suggestions at hand and then work with apple support to guide me through any steps in this area. Thank you for the good suggestions.

13. eysun macrumors newbie

solved

i had this issue and after doing all the stuff which were mentioned in apple support page , i got nothing,
    but i found this program "PleasSleep" which will help u force the system to sleep whenever u set the energy saver to do that.
    you can download the software for free here:

http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

hope this solve your problem:apple: