Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I've set my energy saver preferences to put the display to sleep after 10 mins and the computer to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. The display sleeps but the computer always stays on, whether on battery or A/C. What's the problem here?

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Well yes... I always have some apps running - Mail, Firefox, Skype, etc. No hardware connected to the computer.

Never had this issue when I was using a Powerbook.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Was your iTunes playing music?

If yes, your MBP will not sleep until it drains its battery dry...

bgbgl

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Sleep mode does not work immediately or consistently on macbook pro

Hello. My brand new Mac Book Pro (10.5.5) will not go immediately to sleep until a minute or so or sometimes I have to return and try again to get it into sleep mode as it is still alive and well. It also takes a few seconds for the sleep indicator light to start pulsing after the screen goes black.
My old powerbook G3 would sometimes get reactivated when you bumped it but it would always go to sleep immediately as well as my Mac at work.
I have checked all the obvious steps (energy saver), no bluetooth devices, etc.) and I do not have any applications running. USB cables seem not to be the issue. The harddrive test came out clean. I plan to call Apple during the work week as I am thinking a software problem. Any other suggestions? Is it normal for this minute delay on this particular computer before it does go to sleep?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hello. My brand new Mac Book Pro (10.5.5) will not go immediately to sleep until a minute or so or sometimes I have to return and try again to get it into sleep mode as it is still alive and well. It also takes a few seconds for the sleep indicator light to start pulsing after the screen goes black.
My old powerbook G3 would sometimes get reactivated when you bumped it but it would always go to sleep immediately as well as my Mac at work.
I have checked all the obvious steps (energy saver), no bluetooth devices, etc.) and I do not have any applications running. USB cables seem not to be the issue. The harddrive test came out clean. I plan to call Apple during the work week as I am thinking a software problem. Any other suggestions? Is it normal for this minute delay on this particular computer before it does go to sleep?

My only explaining to the delay between sleep and the indicator would be your computer writing the RAM to the HDD; are you low on disk space?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the same sleep issue. I think it's related to my HP printer drives, but can't be bothered to try and fix it.

bgbgl

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
macbook pro doesn't go to sleep

Ok.. I think the disk space is available and shows a great deal of GB remaining. I have kept the link to apple support on resetting the system. Thank you. That said I think my next step will be to have your suggestions at hand and then work with apple support to guide me through any steps in this area. Thank you for the good suggestions.

eysun

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
solved

i had this issue and after doing all the stuff which were mentioned in apple support page , i got nothing,
but i found this program "PleasSleep" which will help u force the system to sleep whenever u set the energy saver to do that.
you can download the software for free here:

http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

hope this solve your problem:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.