MacBook Pro doesn't poer up when the battery is out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soom, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Soom macrumors newbie

When I take out my battery, but leave the adapter plugged in, my MacBook Pro (2007 model) won't power up. Also if the battery is in, but on very low charge, it doesn't power up too. The battery does charge though. So my logical conclusion is that power doesn't go directly into the computer, but only through the battery.
    Anybody has any ideas before I go to the Apple service? I don't have a warranty anymore and service in Europe costs a fortune.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not recommended to operate your MBP without the battery installed. Check the CHARGING and AC POWER sections of the following link for more information, including instructions on resetting the SMC. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Soom thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the SMC reset several times - didn't help.
    I also did the PRAM reset –*nothing.
    I do understand that it's not recommended to run my MBP without the battery, but I had a situation, that I needed to replace a battery and I was without a battery for a few days, and couldn't turn my MBP on. Also if the battery is inside and has low power, there is no reason to not let me turn on the MBP. Something is wrong here anyway. I don't think the problem is the battery at all - maybe my old battery has caused this, but that doesn't change the issue...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power, battery or charging issues, so resetting that wouldn't help, anyway. If the battery and power adapter are both OK, the only other factor that may be the culprit is the logic board.

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

6. Soom thread starter macrumors newbie

Logic board sounds more likely... I have run a hardware test though, and it all passed (weird - what the hardware test is for if it doesn't find an obvious problem?), so is my last option to go to Apple service?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what I would do.