MacBook Pro doesn't power on, green charging LED, battery empty.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by troelsim, Nov 29, 2014.

1. troelsim macrumors newbie

My late 2011 13" macbook pro ran out of battery today, and when I reconnected the charger, it would not start.

Here's what happens:
    • The charging indicator light turns on, and stays green
    • When I press the power button, nothing happens.
    • When I press the battery status button, one led flashes for a few seconds. If the charger is not plugged in, nothing happens when I press the battery status button

I tried the following:
    • I tried to reset the SMC by opening up the macbook, unplugging the battery, holding the power button for a long time (about a minute), reconnecting the battery cable, closing the macbook, connecting the charger. The sleep light flashed a few times (3 times), about one flash/sec, which made me suspect a memory error.
    • I opened up the macbook, took out both memory blocks and put them back in. Nothing
    • I tried turning it on with only one of the two memory blocks. Neither worked.
    • I tried turning it one with the battery disconnected. Nothing.

The sleep light sometimes flashes a few times when I connect the charger. One, two, three or four times; the number varies, but it is usually around one flash per second.

I think the issue is probably battery related - the battery life has been diminished over the last week. However, It worries me that it does not work when plugged in to a power source, after resetting the SMC.

I am planning:
    • To try with someone else's charger when I get the chance
    • To try with a different battery if I can convince one of my friends to let me take the battery out of his macbook.
    Any other suggestions or experiences?

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Have you tried checking your battery health in "about this mac"?

Click on that, then on more info and then on system report. Fine the power section. It will show how much charge it has, how many cycles and its voltage.

3. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Sebseb, he says it won't start, so impossible to check it.

What is the state of your charger? I've had problems with it recently just because of a little damage in the wire. Anyways, MagSafe works or not, but not "half way" (green light).
    You can try it without battery. It works, but the CPU power will be reduced because it doesn't detect a battery. So then you can see if it's a battery problem.
    If it doesn't work, and you can ensure that it's not a MagSafe problem (trying a friend's one), then it can only be two things:
    - The plug you are using: it might be a joke to you, but my MagSafe sometimes didn't totally work on some external plugs (the ones that have 6-8 plugs with a switch)
    - The logic board: pray not to fall in this case, because you'd be f*cked up.