MacBook Pro Doesn't Quite Work With My TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modit, Mar 29, 2011.

1. modit, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

modit macrumors 6502

My MacBook Pro is suffering from not the using full television screen on the sides. See this similar thread http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2319271

I have a Sony Bravia 40" and I'm mirroring the screen, on 1080P and the underscan option is always greyed out. I'm using the Moshi HDMI adapter.

Please help me out!

2. dxerboy macrumors member

Hmmmm no problems here with a Sony Bravia 32" via no-name HDMI adapter, complete with sound.

I know... not constructive, but just wanted to add a positive experience to a thread with the blanket title, "MBP doesn't work with TVs"...

FYI

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

Blanket statements are bad. No problems here on Pioneer plasma.

4. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

O.K. a little bit sensationalist so I'll fix that but try to help me out :eek:

5. captainb8 macrumors newbie

I've got a 46" sony bravia and experience the same thing when mirroring. I've found that I have to use 720p in order for the entire TV screen to be filled. However, when using the TV as a second monitor, setting it to 1080p works perfect.

Since it only happens when mirroring, it might have something to do with the fact that the maximum screen resolution for my MBP is the base 1440x900, which is less than 1080p (1920×1080), so since my MBP can't display 1080p, it therefore can't mirror 1080p. Since 720p is 1280×720 my MBP can display that and therefore mirror it. I don't know, i could be completely off, but just a thought.

I'd be interested to know if someone who has a 1920x1200 MBP experiences the same thing when mirroring.

6. euphoria47 macrumors member

This I think is the answer. Solutions are to mirror your native or supported resolution, or turn off mirroring.

7. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like my screen to be filled at 1080P resolution so am I supposed to buy a new TV set for this?

Every time I don't mirror the screen, I see a purple OS X background and I can't play my videos nor see my screen.

Unless I mirror 720p, no full screen usage for my Mac?

:(

8. euphoria47, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

euphoria47 macrumors member

Well you must remember, if not using mirroring, you have to drag open windows to the tv, before you can use fullscreen. If you use vlc to watch movies, there's no reason to have it playing on both screens. Most, if not all games will give you a choice as to which monitor to play on. If you dont see the choice, hold option when you double click the application The only thing I haven't managed to get to cooperate is frontrow. It seems no matter what I do it will revert to builtin display, so i use mirroring there.

EDIT:

Are you saying when you plug in your tv, you see nothing on your laptop screen when mirroring is off? If so, that is strange. If you use something like gfxCardStatus make sure you are not on "integrated only". Look in System Preferences under Displays and click "Detect Displays". Play around with resolutions

9. pugnaciousp macrumors newbie

pugnaciousp

No problems with 60in LG plasma. I did notice you need to set the scan from 16:9 to automatic. That made it fit just right. :D

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 mbp 17" (1920x1200) and a 46" sony bravia... works great when mirrored and set to 1080p my underscan is not grayed out. my mbp screen adjusts its resolution automatically and i have black bars on top and bottom but its full screen on my tv.

11. modit, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

modit thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not a problem; everything on my Mac is mirrored on the Sony (albeit with the sides cut off by an inch).

So if I'm watching videos, don't use mirroring...which makes sense. Now only if I knew how to get anything to show in that mode besides a background image.

EDIT: NM...I just dragged the video to the far right and it filled the next screen which is awesome! Watching video just got great.

So when your Mac is mirrored, the screen is filled up as a 16:9 movie? That would be fine but as I said, my screen is filled from top to bottom but is missing the sides.

If my underscan is greyed out, I'm guessing that could have fixed my problem.

I appreciate your help guys. Any thing else to say, please chime in as I give Apple tech support a call later today.

12. euphoria47 macrumors member

Thought that might have been the problem. :cool:

13. captainb8 macrumors newbie

Glad you got working using your TV as a second monitor.

As I mentioned before, unless you got the upgraded hi-res screen (1920x1200) on your MBP, I don't think you'll be able to mirror in 1080p since the base MBP screen can't display that high of a resolution. I've got the base screen and experience the exact same thing as you when trying to mirror in 1080p. If you do talk to tech support, I'd be interested to hear what they say.

14. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

My 2006 and 2011 MPB will only display 1360x768 on my 42"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2011 MBP does 1920x1080 on my 25"

[​IMG]

15. iMackPro macrumors 6502

my 2011 MBP will do 1080 on my 60" Samsung plasma. and its awesome. but i always mirrored the displays when i watched movies. Im gathering from this thread that i should not mirror them and drag the movie over to the other display and then watch it? can someone dumb this down for me as to why i should watch movies like this?

16. movieboy23 macrumors regular

@modit

Problem with yours is that if you dont have a high res screen on your 2010 MBP, then your resolution is limited to 1440 x 900. So when you mirror the display, the TV CAN'T do 1080 because the computer's resolution is under 1080p. A high res screen would extend the display to 1440 x 1050, which is also still under 1080p but just barely (by 30 progressive lines)

17. euphoria47 macrumors member

If not mirrored, you can have the movie on your big tv, vlc will dim your laptop display, as not to be distracting. I just find it to be the only way that makes sense. If I'm watching a movie, I don't want it on my tv and laptop at the same time. That would be distracting to me.